What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

What is wrong with HCF? Member's and Staff Options Wanted

Soultribunal

Staff member
The mods aren't here to be your babysitters, to mediate between personal squabbles or to play jury on the defacto posting quality that members here seem to have implemented.

The idea behind moderation is to be a police of sorts. I don't see a need for them to be involved in anything that isn't clearly defined in the rules already unless someone toes the line where it begins to affect the entire community. Squabbles between individual groups should be sorted out privately, personal issues with other members are your own PERSONAL issues.

If you are not the type of person who appreciate small talk, short quick feedback or non technical conversation that's fine, but you shouldn't be expecting a mod to weigh the value of your opinion vs. the value of someone elses.

Maybe people were feeling ignored was because they were coming to the mods with the expectation that they would play the third party in private affairs. Such is not the case.

You don't call 911 when someone flips you off in traffic... if he gets out and takes a bat to your car, then it is warranted.

I could not have said it better myself.
See FiXT you do occasionaly make a damn good post.
:clap::rofl:

ST

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Well. It seems FiXT and the mods have already agreed to a point of view, and that nothing is wrong.

Case closed. Lock the thread.

Next. :whistle:

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
[rant]
I'm simply amazed at the audacity of some members who have decided that other member's posts aren't worthwhile, and have decided to harrass said members and mods about it. In my opinion, what they've done would be called bullying in real life. What if it were YOUR posts I was deleting? Everyone here that's been here for a while has succumbed to posting off-topic in threads, including me. Hell, look at the massive thread derailment 3 posts into this thread. It's funny to me, but according to some those posts should be deleted.

And the suggestions that the mods do nothing? That's absolute horseshit. Unless you are the one I'm PM'ing, warning, or giving an infraction, it's nobody else's business but yours and the mods. Since Monday morning, I've sent/received 35 PM's, resolved 8 reported posts, and made 49 posts in threads.

[/rant]

Now, as for suggestions that I think would make the board better, here's mine:
Get rid of the minimum post requirement for the BST, and make all new threads in that section moderated. That is, they must be reviewed by a mod to make sure they meet the rules before the general population can see the thread. This will get rid of 20 or so spam posts per noob that wants to post here.

Mena

Have your mods be more fair. my brother was banned from here unfairly....when he apologized and requested to be allowed to return he was told no. All he did was suggestively remind the mods that they were a wee bit power hungry and bam. He went to a chat line and said sorry and also explained the extensive heat also made him short tempered...that I can clarify.

I can see a temp ban for that.....but a perm ban was way out of line. All it did was prove my brothers point across.

another example is Markone. Almost the same scenario there as well.

Now I am not condoning their actions.....but they proved their points and did it well. The mods here can be a little overzealous in their actions.....and I am sure that they feel that their actions can be justified and that because they are the mods that they are always right. That is never the case. Moderators are human too and they make mistakes. However I ask the mods to do two things.

1.) Reinstate my brothers account. he truly is sorry for snapping at you for being power hungry and wishes to return. You know who he is. he is very sincere about this and I will personally vouch for him. he keeps his word to the best of his abilities.

2.) Try to be a little for forgiving with members. If they do something wrong warn them through a Private message first. If they do not comply....then infract them. After three infractions temp ban....after that then perm ban the person.

If it were not for the fact that he let's me live with him until I find a job I would not have even known about this. he is a very caring and unselfish person in real life......do not throw out a good member for a mistake.

FiXT

Hall of Fame
Well. It seems FiXT and the mods have already agreed to a point of view, and that nothing is wrong.

Trust me, absolutely nothing I say in any way affects what goes on in the forum. I just post here. I am 100% hands off forum decisions. But if given the opportunity to throw my 2 cents in I won't say no :bleh:

And as the mods previous and current can attest to, I am CONSTANTLY polling for the "interests" of the general forum members (or was), for leniency, for fairness and to always look at two sides of the coin when issues arise/arose. I'd likely be at fault for some of the "openness" that currently exists that the older members are clearly not used to.

Mena, In actual fact, those two scenarios as well as some other situations were the catalyst for the current infraction system (which set up similarly to what you have described) so that there could be no overzealous behavior and that a permanent ban could not happen unless the situation was severe enough to warrant it.

CTA

[rant]

And the suggestions that the mods do nothing? That's absolute horseshit. Unless you are the one I'm PM'ing, warning, or giving an infraction, it's nobody else's business but yours and the mods. Since Monday morning, I've sent/received 35 PM's, resolved 8 reported posts, and made 49 posts in threads.

[/rant]
whoa...

i suggest you to have a mod that post (or thread) is ALREADY reported... so you dont have to worry about multiple reports from one same thread...

and fixt is right...

Soultribunal

Staff member

We are listening Sagath, I am merely watching and speaking what small bits I know about.

Have your mods be more fair. my brother was banned from here unfairly....when he apologized and requested to be allowed to return he was told no. All he did was suggestively remind the mods that they were a wee bit power hungry and bam. He went to a chat line and said sorry and also explained the extensive heat also made him short tempered...that I can clarify.

I can see a temp ban for that.....but a perm ban was way out of line. All it did was prove my brothers point across.

another example is Markone. Almost the same scenario there as well.

Now I am not condoning their actions.....but they proved their points and did it well. The mods here can be a little overzealous in their actions.....and I am sure that they feel that their actions can be justified and that because they are the mods that they are always right. That is never the case. Moderators are human too and they make mistakes. However I ask the mods to do two things.

1.) Reinstate my brothers account. he truly is sorry for snapping at you for being power hungry and wishes to return. You know who he is. he is very sincere about this and I will personally vouch for him. he keeps his word to the best of his abilities.

2.) Try to be a little for forgiving with members. If they do something wrong warn them through a Private message first. If they do not comply....then infract them. After three infractions temp ban....after that then perm ban the person.

If it were not for the fact that he let's me live with him until I find a job I would not have even known about this. he is a very caring and unselfish person in real life......do not throw out a good member for a mistake.

Case and point that was not what instituted the Ban. It was a Staff Decision based on a pattern of Behaviour from both Digikid and Markone for blatent disregard for Forum Rules and Personal Attacks and Harrasment unwarranted towards the Staff.
Those bans were made permenent and will remain that way.

ST

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Sorry Mena, but "brother" Digikid REPEATEDLY harrassed the mods, not just on one occasion. That person isn't welcome here.
And neither is Markone, as that is one in a long line of duplicate accounts by the same person, who also had a habit of harassing and threatening moderators. We have a low tolerance for that sort of behaviour, and it warrants a quick ban. Note the point values for it in the code of conduct.

And we do use a warning system around here. You should know, I believe I gave you one once.

mattlef

Get rid of the minimum post requirement for the BST, and make all new threads in that section moderated. That is, they must be reviewed by a mod to make sure they meet the rules before the general population can see the thread. This will get rid of 20 or so spam posts per noob that wants to post here.

While i agree with you, I'm looking at this as well through marketing glasses. It make business sense to encourage continuous usage. HWC is a business as I'm sure you all know.
However, in this assessment , please correct me if I'm wrong.

HWC is a business and private one at that funded by personal investment and advertising. As such, the owner makes money dependent on consistent traffic. This is the best way for the said owner to communicate reach and frequency to the said advertisers to calculate pricing for said advertising. We as users are consumers of this product. And while there is serious tangible value to every part of this community, users will be even more enticed to spend even more time if there was added incentive (both tangible and intangible.) I beleive that the best, and most cost efficient is to reward continuously active members for their loyalty by the BST thread. It will ultimately reduce fraud and result in more members attempting to be more then just occasional members, which then will ultimately result in more money for the owners through advertising revenue, which a portion can be used for more rewards, or personal use.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
That's lovely Mattlef. Can you put it into plain english or as an example for those of us whose specialty lies outside the marketing realm?

In other words, what? :biggrin:

EDIT: And by the way, I was told that the BST has the most traffic of any section of the forum.

Latest posts