What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

what is your go-to motherboard brand?

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
I remember my EVGA nForce board with an Intel Q6600. It was phenomenal at the time. I think they had problems with the next generation if I recall correctly and led to some poor reviews for a while.

Yeah, they were great boards. They were hot as hades, and I believe that was also around the time of the solder change over where they removed lead to make it RoHS compliant. Lead to a lot of boards just not booting up one day.

Too bad they don't do chipsets any more. They still make great (non gpu) products. Y'all have heard me rant for years about my shield for example.

Bootrec

I've read a lot of rants about ASRock's rebates. That they take forever or you just don't get it - they have excuses when they received it etc. That's pretty pathetic that they would do that. I don't know what their business policy is but when most of their products are priced so high but they try to intrigue with a 'rebate' but ultimately, it becomes like pulling hair to get the rebate/discount at a later date....

It's enough to just pay something more for an Asus or MSI if you aren't going to pay less anyway. Who wants to go through that aggravation? They hope you will just forget it and accept that you paid a higher price that you would otherwise chose a different manufacturer, possibly? I don't know if their products are any good as I don't know any good reviews comparing motherboard brands. Maybe the reviewers need to do more of these? At least, compare how boards do with temperatures/power consumption as there must be differences with vrms, how they handle overclocks and how each compares with basic performance (need to compare both AMD and Intel boards, though).

Didn't have problems with both ASRock's rebates I submitted this year and received in September. It does take a while, like most of them.

Bootrec

Asus?
Gigabyte?
MSI?
Asrock?
Other?

why do you prefer this brand over others?

I also find it interesting how so many names have fallen into the background and provide OEM only now, no public mainstream options.

I sure wish Supermicro would release AMD Ryzen boards. :ph34r:

ASUS, because of experience and comfort. I've used their utilities for a long time. I tried an ASRock earlier this year and really didn't like their fan control options (or lack thereof) in the utility they provided. Just one example. MSI would be my second go-to brand.

implosion222

Pretty much exclusively buy Asus except for 1 or 2 lower end boards that I bought for media servers. I've only ever had one Asus board fail, 780i Striker.

FreeKnight

I wish Asus would do another 'Mark S' style board. I love the whole PCB covering shield and the white camo (I'm not a camo guy usually, but having a few shades makes it easier to have your fans, GPU, etc look like they match).

incredible-creation-5.jpg

Maybe the real reason I haven't upgraded is because I don't want to look in the side window and see an uglier board :D

fubar

I read good things about Gigabyte now - if going for the X470 or Z390, they're a good pick. Also, Asrock. Not so much Asus - bad vrms, apparently? I originally thought they were good. I wasn't expecting doing a real 180 in my perspective about their most recent boards. Thoughts? Reactions?

justmehereajax

ASUS all the way now. Never had any issue with ASUS. All problems were due to my stupidness.

At the computer store I volunteer, we only build PCs with ASUS mobo

upcoast604

ASUS all the way now. Never had any issue with ASUS. All problems were due to my stupidness.

At the computer store I volunteer, we only build PCs with ASUS mobo

Pledging allegiance to one manufacture just doesn't make sense to me.

I've built dozens for friends and family using MSI, Asus, Gigabyte and Asrock I've had one gigabyte foul and one DOA asus board out of the bunch.

Lysrin

I wish Asus would do another 'Mark S' style board. I love the whole PCB covering shield and the white camo (I'm not a camo guy usually, but having a few shades makes it easier to have your fans, GPU, etc look like they match).

Maybe the real reason I haven't upgraded is because I don't want to look in the side window and see an uglier board :D

That is an awesome looking board line FreeKnight. The new TUF line just isn't there at all I don't think. With the colour accents, kind of looks like a Caterpillar or Tonka motherboard to me :haha: Can't really tell though if all the colours are actually RGB. If they are and you could set them to a suitable colour or even off, that would help.

I was hoping the Z390 TUF line would improve on it (all opinion of course). I mean it isn't terrible looking I suppose, but nothing like the one you posted. I guess it is an alternative to the red ROG stuff?

image.jpg

Specs wise the TUF line is still compelling though.

fubar

The TUF one is the worst out of the Asus line - at least, for the AMD AM4 motherboards. That's what I read.