What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

What is your Internet speed?

JD

Staff member
https://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

Give it a run, its super intuitive and easy to use. You probably need to adjust MTU and your other timings based on your new GbE. . Run the MTU check in the last tab, then adjust your bandwidth on the first tab, click the 'optimal' radial button and apply.
I think it's likely something on my EdgeRouter, but just not sure what. I really don't want to hook back up Bell's modem but I think I might have to, at least just to confirm and troubleshoot.

sswilson

Staff member
Oh, and for further reference... my new bell modem/router does have a "dongle" (for lack of a better word) that's inserted into the router instead of having a stand-alone ONT. Basically the optic cable from outside is hard wired into a small box that the fiber cable attached to this dongle is plugged into, and then the "dongle" is mated with the modem. There is no longer an ethernet WAN cable.

JD

Staff member
I think it's likely something on my EdgeRouter, but just not sure what. I really don't want to hook back up Bell's modem but I think I might have to, at least just to confirm and troubleshoot.
Back onto the HH3000:

The modem speed test shows 1.29Gbps download and 944Mbps upload...

So I guess I have to tinker with my EdgeRouter some more...

sswilson

Staff member
Back onto the HH3000:

The modem speed test shows 1.29Gbps download and 944Mbps upload...

So I guess I have to tinker with my EdgeRouter some more...

Nice. I'm seeing similar numbers from within the router as I see on speedtest.net. I'll do a run later this evening once my better half is done watching TV and I can use the "block all traffic" option.

sswilson

Staff member
Nice. I'm seeing similar numbers from within the router as I see on speedtest.net. I'll do a run later this evening once my better half is done watching TV and I can use the "block all traffic" option.

modems_speedtest.JPG

Doesn't get much closer to 1Gb than that.... :)

Is your modem's recorded ping similarly high when compared to a speedtest.net run?

Lysrin

I just had my Eastlink to Bell switch completed yesterday. Haven't posted my speed test yet, similar to sswilson's so I am pleased. I'll post one later just for posterity ;)

Here's mine. My output looks a bit different than the other ones, but I don't have an account. Maybe that is the difference? In six runs the ping was always either 0 or 1. But it is going to a Bell server in the same city.

EDIT: removed in favor of post below.

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
It looks like you're using the snipping tool?

If you look directly above the ping measurement there's a "share" with 4 small icons... the first one (looks like a couple of chain links) will get you URLs, and you want to cut/paste the last one (forums) into your post to be embedded.

Did you try a speedtest from within your router? It's on the main home page (192.168.2.1 ).

Lysrin

It looks like you're using the snipping tool?

If you look directly above the ping measurement there's a "share" with 4 small icons... the first one (looks like a couple of chain links) will get you URLs, and you want to cut/paste the last one (forums) into your post to be embedded.

Did you try a speedtest from within your router? It's on the main home page (192.168.2.1 ).

Thanks sswilson, got it now! Here is an updated speedtest.net and the one from inside the modem, with the local traffic blocked for the test:

Capture.PNG

sswilson

Staff member
Thanks sswilson, got it now! Here is an updated speedtest.net and the one from inside the modem, with the local traffic blocked for the test:

View attachment 26219

Nice, welcome to the club! (actually I think you said you got it recently so you were here first.... ;) ).

Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I'd have a 1GB connection. I doubt I really use 50Mbps let alone 1K.

JD

Staff member
I disconnected the HH3000 before checking here, so not 100% sure what my ping was, but I think it was 4ms.

Back on my EdgeRouter and it's giving me 880-890Mbps now...maybe I'll pickup an EdgeRouter 4 to replace my Pro 8 as I'm not fond of the fan noise anyhow. Plus its supposed to be twice as fast.