What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

What is your Internet speed?

Perineum

Switched to Bell Fibe last spring when they finally upgraded their network to 100% fiber all the way to your home here in Quebec City .

Kinda funny how it's fiber but yet uses speeds you can just about attain on DSL and have had on cable forever.

When someone tells me they have Fibre to the door I'm expecting 100 or 1000mbit. Honestly, who cares what medium you use for transferring? I'd use carrier pigeon if it gave me gigabit with low enough latency.... :thumb:

BeaverBender

It is real fibre though. Bell has two: 50/50 and 175/175. I just wish they would offer these real ones in my neighbourhood, not the crappy faux fibre.

Kinda funny how it's fiber but yet uses speeds you can just about attain on DSL and have had on cable forever.

When someone tells me they have Fibre to the door I'm expecting 100 or 1000mbit. Honestly, who cares what medium you use for transferring? I'd use carrier pigeon if it gave me gigabit with low enough latency.... :thumb:

I used to have a TGV 65/5 from Videotron before that and at max ever managed to get 40/3 out of it, and at time it used to be the best you could get around here. Videotron's service was around 20$ more expensive than what I have now with Bell, with only 150gb per month, costing me extras every month.

In Quebec the 2 main ISPs if you want the fastest are pretty much Bell and Videotron, and neither of them are cheap. In my case switching to Bell was a good move for the extra 100gb per month and the constant speeds and balanced network overall.

Now I never tried to sell the fact that I had fiber, that's the last thing I care about. As long as I get what I pay for, im fine with it.

Don't expect to see anything close to 1000mbit in the next 4-5 years around here haha, or if they ever do so, they will put ridiculously low caps like 300gb per month :haha:

Perineum

It is real fibre though. Bell has two: 50/50 and 175/175. I just wish they would offer these real ones in my neighbourhood, not the crappy faux fibre.

Well those are decent, but I bet the bandwidth caps suck still.

I used to have a TGV 65/5 from Videotron before that and at max ever managed to get 40/3 out of it, and at time it used to be the best you could get around here. Videotron's service was around 20$ more expensive than what I have now with Bell, with only 150gb per month, costing me extras every month.

At this point the best thruput you get around here is on cable for 100mbit/5mbit

Telus used to advertise that their service wasn't "shared" but that's all crap. It's eventually shared somewhere, doesn't matter where. It does matter if there is a bottleneck at that share point or not.

Anyway, my "shared" cable is probably the best service I've ever had, with an outage of maybe once a year. Mind you, I've got that same level of quality from Telus too, they could only offer me 3mbit. After two years of waiting I bailed and absolutely never regretted it.

Chasingu

2338510453.png