What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

what kind of music do you listen to?

Mr. Friendly

I'm a fan of electronica, but I've always been kinda passive and just find stuff. unfortunately for me, I have a terrible memory from an ABI, so I forget a lot of the stuff I've listened to over the years and really liked.

that said, I've been listening to a lot of the 90's dance/techno I grew up with as a teen and loving it. like most people I have a lot of emotion connected to the music I listened to, but it's got an even stronger meaning to me. it connects me to memories I lost from my ABI 20 years ago. in short, I remember memories I wasn't even aware of. it's a lot more than just recall of something forgotten...but the trigger mechanism is the same.

further, I'm actually very eclectic in my tastes and like something of everything but for hard or extreme things like death metal, rap or country, in general. I used to enjoy industrial when it was in it's infancy, but it got much too dark later on.

I also enjoy classical/instrumental and opera...which is why I spent so much getting the Stas SR-2170's I have.

anyhow, this post was triggered by this recording. made me think of music and how etheral it can be!
https://soundcloud.com/eduardo-bez/in-for-the-kill-decaf-remix

the sound moves and has depth...and I pulled up the versions on Spotify and they just don't do it.

Last edited:

Bond007

Pretty open to any music that actually takes musical talent to make. There is a time and place for all of it...except death metal and most rap/opera.

Last edited:

Mr. Friendly

I should clarify...I don't like all opera. not sure I have an 'opera' I really like...but I have some hifi stuff that blows the mind. :ph34r:

FreeKnight

Pretty much anything except for opera

While I thoroughly enjoy Opera :haha:

For me Classical, symphony, video game music, and the odd opera is my go to. Other genres I'm more of a 'by artist' listener than 'by genre'. Take country, I could happily listen to George Strait or Brad Paisley, but can't stand the 'proud to be an ignorant hick' stuff by the likes of Toby Keith (among others).
Or rap, I don't mind some old school hip hop, but I'm not big on modern 'I'm so rich, I'm so baller, blah blah blah stuff'.

As for opera, anyone willing to dip their toe in really needs to avoid certain operas. The best one for most people will be a more upbeat or comedic opera (an 'opera buffa') like the Barber of Seville, none of the extended tragedy odes like in Aida, just fun well sung opera.

Take the opening from 'Il barbieri' - ' Largo al Factotum' (which happens to be my ringtone :haha:);
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dq_0wPYFp9A
I saw a performance of it in Stockholm that was brilliant, very visual, lots of physical comedy etc.

Prickly007

Pretty open to any music that actually takes musical talent to make....except death metal and most rap/opera.

You forgot country (and maybe R&B, or whatever Drake produces).:bleh:

My tastes are somewhat eclectic; though rap is pretty much limited to Public Enemy. My foobar play lists currently has just shy of 30,000 tracks, but, despite using Space Sniffer to visualise it, nothing really stands out as a dominant artist/genre; other than maybe Depeche Mode, which is largely a function of their enormous number of official and unofficial remixes.

For better or worse, I am not exposed to many new artists anymore....