What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

What lighting strips to consider?

Bond007

Ok, I am the first to admit I am not a fan of the over the top rgb craze. That said I have been thinking about putting a light strip or 2 in my case to allow it to be seen. I have zero experience with any rgb kits available.

can you recommend anything for me to try? Please consider the following:

- my current motherboard DOES NOT have any rgb connector/functionality.
- as low of price as required to get something that isn’t complete junk

Thoughts? Thanks for your help.

Bond007

You want addresseable RGB or regular?
I would like to be able to change colours (I understand that will likely have to be via a remote or some kind of controller due to my motherboard), but it doesn’t need to have individually addressable lights.

Likely once I have a colour I like it will remain that way.

lowfat

Staff member
I would like to be able to change colours (I understand that will likely have to be via a remote or some kind of controller due to my motherboard), but it doesn’t need to have individually addressable lights.

Likely once I have a colour I like it will remain that way.
How are you w/ DIY stuff? Like can you solder / crimp power leads to your power supply to power the LED controller? If so I can suggest some relatively cheap and decent parts. They are going to be the exact same LEDs used in the retail strips you'll find.

Bond007

How are you w/ DIY stuff? Like can you solder / crimp power leads to your power supply to power the LED controller? If so I can suggest some relatively cheap and decent parts. They are going to be the exact same LEDs used in the retail strips you'll find.
if you are talking basic solder/crimp etc of wires, then I would have no issues with that. Not Sure I want to get into anything requiring major work though.

Off topic, but you reminded me of the last time I played with modifying power supplies. I was turning a couple xbox360 and pc power supplies into 12v terminals to attach banana plugs/car adapter stuff...fun times.

lowfat

Staff member
if you are talking basic solder/crimp etc of wires, then I would have no issues with that. Not Sure I want to get into anything requiring major work though.

Off topic, but you reminded me of the last time I played with modifying power supplies. I was turning a couple xbox360 and pc power supplies into 12v terminals to attach banana plugs/car adapter stuff...fun times.
The LED controller will need a 12V power source.

LED controller. Has wifi so you can control it via an app for your phone.

These make connection your cut strips so much easier. You want the dual connector.

And the strips. You'd probably want black PCB, RGB, non waterproof. It is 5 meters. Easily enough to do a PC and probably your entire desk if you so desire.

Should all be the same seller. So as long as you select the same shipping (I'd suggest ePacket or Aliexpress Standard Shipping), it should combine shipping costs @ checkout.

Bond007

Thanks for your help everyone, and walking me through some options.

Once I looked into pricing and options I stumbled on this:

LED strip kit

I decided to give it a go, since it had the controller (with rf receiver), power (via molex or sata), and 2 strips. For $20 (no tax) and amazon return policy, I figured it was a cheap and easy way to try.

Just installed, and I must say that I am very happy. Still have to sort out final placement and tidy the wires, but it all seems very good.

Bond007

Can’t decide on a colour still, but this is my daughter’s choice. Also a picture of what was in the kit.

C7988641-A1A0-4701-AA97-2FD500455948.jpeg5D2952B2-2BF1-4FD2-B1B6-D4FAEEB8D08A.jpeg