What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

what Linux would you recommend for an AMD A6?

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
I've got an Acern Aspire that's probably around 10 years old running an AMD A6-6310 (4c / 4t @ 1.8ghz, boosts to 2.4ghz) that has 6GB RAM and a 256GB SATA SSD. I tried to put Chrome Flex on it but it won't boot, so now I'm thinking of some simple Linux that an idiot can use to look at YouTube videos. see if my grandbrats like it...

LaughingCrow

I've only used one, Linux Mint, which I can recommend, since it's a lot like Windows. Latest version 21.1 which I recently did a fresh install.

I'm running it on a little dual-core system. It's updated frequently as are the browsers like Firefox & Chrome, although I only use Firefox on it.

LaughingCrow

are the simple enough for an idiot? if it would ever require command line, it's out... ;)

@LaughingCrow and you made me recall that Min has three primary versions with one being ultra light / simple and scaling up from there.
I've never had to use a command line with either version that I've used. I do have it set up with a password for security, so that any automatic update, I have to enter a password before it updates.

I'm using Cinnamon version; never tried either of the other 2 versions. You could check out reviews for Mint and the other types of Linux.

Linux Mint

CMetaphor

Quadfather
are the simple enough for an idiot? if it would ever require command line, it's out... ;)
No CLI at all, as far as I remember. Ubuntu/Lubuntu have things like package installers (term might be wrong but not the idea), so adding apps and whatnot is extremely easy. AFAIK, no Linux distro is easier to use 🤷‍♂️

Izerous

Folding Team
how old are the Mac's?
I think the one in the garage is an 09 Mac mini.

I don't use it for much but it is nice to be able to bring up schematics on without worrying about if i make the mouse/keyboard dirty like I worry about making my phone filthy. Ie car part diagrams etc

Last edited:

Latest posts