What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

What music subscription service are you using?

sswilson

Staff member
The previous thread where this was discussed was (my fault) hijacked from a slightly different query (downloading vice streaming) so I figured I'd create a separate thread....

What streaming service do you use, and what do (or don't) you like about it?

sswilson

Staff member
I've been using Spotify for a couple of years now and have been relatively happy with the service. Got in on a $99/ 1yr deal so it's costing me less than $10/mo for the premium service.

My main complaint early on was the lack of selective audio output on windows devices, but they've finally got a beta solution to that issue and the latest windows build has that functionality built into it so the issue is moot.

Pretty happy with the library, but often run into issues with older albums not being available in their original format. (There's often a playlist made up that resolves the issue).

Mr. Friendly

I have Spotify for my wife and I...before that I was using Tidal, but decided paying 2x the price of Spotify with not as much selection wasn't worth the hifi streaming it gave. :p

sswilson

Staff member
Now that I've got a reasonably up to date phone I'm even happier with the service.

I was always leery about using it away from a wireless network because of their ambiguous "wifi only downloads" setting, but now that I've got a spotify "offline mode" selection in the dropdown settings and tons of room for downloading content I'm comfortable using it while the phone's on a data connection.

Mr. Friendly

yeah, my wife fiddled with those settings and it resulted in a $300 data overage charge. talked them down to $180...but yowza!!! <_<

Lysrin

How does that work exactly? Is it only playing downloaded content when not on WiFi?

supaflyx3

Google play music, thinking about switching to Spotify once YouTube music rolls out in Canada

Mr. Friendly

Google has really mussed up their consumer services. Google Home is dominated by Alexa...Amazon Prime w/video/music/movies or Netflix dominate that space...Google languishes.

and it's rather annoying that Schmidt has had Google remove 'do no harm' from everything related to them. Eric even said, 'it was the most stupid thing I'd ever heard'. so I guess Google has morphed itself into a company that harms, rather than helps. :blarg:

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
How does that work exactly? Is it only playing downloaded content when not on WiFi?

Set it to "WIFI", and select the 'download' button on the playlists. It will download all of the songs in that (and each selected) playlist to your phone via wifi so when you're off wifi and playing music it doesnt stream over your cellular data connection.

Normal day-to-day function is that if you play anything it streams it every time.

Lysrin

Set it to "WIFI", and select the 'download' button on the playlists. It will download all of the songs in that (and each selected) playlist to your phone via wifi so when you're off wifi and playing music it doesnt stream over your cellular data connection.

Normal day-to-day function is that if you play anything it streams it every time.

Interesting, thanks Sagath. I've generally avoided the streaming service because of limited utility to me if I am only on cellular data. Maybe I need to have another look.

I will admit I still actually BUY albums and songs... digital versions, but I still like having them. Biggest attraction to me for the steaming would be exposure to music I wouldn't normal buy or just haven't heard yet. Likely worth it for that.