What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

What music subscription service are you using?

Babrbarossa

I have:
Tidal hifi
Deezer Premium
Amazon
Google play

Don't like tidal - i like that artists get paid more per-play but it's not a good user experience unless you enjoy random obscure R&B music. The playlists and suggestions are limited and you can't get a list of top track/albums/play lists by popularity when you search things.

I like deezer best - and for me the lossless quality is a must and can only be had with deezer premium and tidal hifi.

Last edited:

Prickly007

We've been trying out AmazonMusic.ca Unlimited; apparently, buying a Define R5 case qualified me for a three month trial.

I was able to side load the app onto the new Sony TV as the app is not available in Canada on Roku. But what the hell is up with the interface??? There seems to be no way to bookmark stations, everything seems so counter-intuitive....

JD

Staff member
everything seems so counter-intuitive....
I'm inclined to think that's because most people would use it with Alexa. Free with Prime too, but last time I installed their desktop app it didn't leave me very impressed. I've stuck to Spotify for my music needs.

JD

Staff member
It's not. Amazon Music Unlimited carries an extra cost for Prime Members, non-Prime customers pay $9.99/month. Details here.
"Prime Music" is included though, didn't realize they introduced so many different tiers...

"Unlimited" seems to be the same price as Spotify though, so no incentive for me to even consider switching.

Bond007

I didn’t try to google an answer, but for anyone that has played with most of these providers before, what is your thoughts on pros vs cons?

sswilson

Staff member
For me, the ability to use a secondary device (like a phone/tablet) to control the client remotely through spotify connect is a game changer and not something that's offered by any of the other streaming services.

I run spotify feeding receivers on my PCs, but use a tablet on one, and a wifi phone on the other to control playback remotely.

Bond007

I didn’t try to google an answer, but for anyone that has played with most of these providers before, what is your thoughts on pros vs cons?
For me, the ability to use a secondary device (like a phone/tablet) to control the client remotely through spotify connect is a game changer and not something that's offered by any of the other streaming services.

I run spotify feeding receivers on my PCs, but use a tablet on one, and a wifi phone on the other to control playback remotely.
Interesting functionality that I didn't know about.

My progression:
1. Spotify for awhile with no issue. At some point I wasn't using it a lot and cancelled.
2. Not long after I wanted music again and I swapped to itunes for a few month free trial and data for itunes not counting toward my limit through my cell provider at the time. Liked it, but not as much as spotify, so I moved on.
3. Swapped to google play music. Prefer to itunes, but not quite as much as spotify. Ultimately I then got a couple google homes and everything is logged into this service now with no major downfalls that I noted. I also grabbed a chromecast audio when they were clearing them out which feeds through my proper speakers.

Basically I am happy, but stopped looking into if anything is better.

sswilson

Staff member
Interesting functionality that I didn't know about.

My progression:
1. Spotify for awhile with no issue. At some point I wasn't using it a lot and cancelled.
2. Not long after I wanted music again and I swapped to itunes for a few month free trial and data for itunes not counting toward my limit through my cell provider at the time. Liked it, but not as much as spotify, so I moved on.
3. Swapped to google play music. Prefer to itunes, but not quite as much as spotify. Ultimately I then got a couple google homes and everything is logged into this service now with no major downfalls that I noted. I also grabbed a chromecast audio when they were clearing them out which feeds through my proper speakers.

Basically I am happy, but stopped looking into if anything is better.
That's similar to spotify connect, and the CCAs will operate as a spotify connect device as well.

Are you running the CCAs digitally or did you stick with the analog output? (Digital allows for higher quality output to a receiver).

Latest posts

Twitter