What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

what salt & pepper mills do you use?

crazyea

I usually buy the disposable ones, pre-filled. They never last more than a 3rd of the way into the pepper. Annoys the heck out of me, yet I haven't done any grinder research as of yet. I'll keep an eye on this thread I guess.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
I usually buy the disposable ones, pre-filled. They never last more than a 3rd of the way into the pepper. Annoys the heck out of me, yet I haven't done any grinder research as of yet. I'll keep an eye on this thread I guess.

metal provides a more uniform grind, but ceramic does better with softer peppercorns. ceramic is a bit more susceptible to dulling, but metal add's to the cost.

admittedly, my last mill set was also from Costco and if it wasn't for the fact our pepper mill got lost in our move a year ago (everything was in storage while we lived with the in-laws), I likely wouldn't be looking for one right now.

that said, I just bought that cheap Oxo so we have something until I have a bit more capital for a more robust mill. I love my pepper! :punk:

JD

Staff member
Since this thread even exists, are you saying these sort of refillable ones work better than the plastic ones that come on the salt/pepper I buy from Clubhouse/PC?

I find with the Clubhouse ones, when I get down to about 1/6 of peppercorns, it doesn't really grind well anymore. With one of these, I'll be able to even grind a few left, or would I just have to keep filling it back up?

Bond007

I can't believe this thread is approaching the start of a 3rd page. I love fresh ground pepper, but I have never put any thought into the grinder. My thought process:

is it grinding my pepper sufficiently:
yes = continue using (usually the case for a few years)
no = the next time I think of it I will get a new one

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
sometimes advancements have minor nuances, which is likely the story for pepper, maybe even salt...but still, advancement is good, especially if it doesn't come at a ludicrous price.

that said, while there may be recommendatoins for 'electric' mills...from everything I've read they still have a ways to go to match good hand grinder.

also, that cheap Oxo is what I just bought...we need something and I don't have the $100 to get something better right now. :(

Cypher^64

I have iTouch salt and pepper electric grinders, haven't had any issues (only thing is they look like they have nipples lol). But, if/when they were to die I'd get something like the OXO's previously mentioned. The slider for grind coarseness would be great.

Latest posts