What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

What should one be looking for when comparing monitors?

Cptn Vortex

I use a Acer XR34 100hz IPS at home for my gaming and I love it. At work I have the MSI Optix MAG341CQ VA 100HZ and honestly it's pretty darn close to the Acer's image quality. I'd be happy recommending either (I dont think they make the Acer any more), but the MSI is a decent price! https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX74087

clshades

The price is definitely a very compelling reason (right now it's $550 freesync), what other thoughts? How are viewing angles, how does it support/run at lower refresh rates?
It supports 144 and 165. Not many options in that regard. I bought it for gaming. The view angles are really good and I can't complain about 32" of I can see your head behind that rock a mile away. :)

The problem I had with my Benq was terrible looking font during desktop stuff so it was just wasting space in that regard. As a regular desktop the Dell is supreme. Definately helps with video edit etc. I followed a guide to tweak the colors a bit and it looks fantastic.

clshades

How do you find the curve when using that monitor @clshades ? And you said G-Sync compatible, have you used it running G-Sync?

I have a 3440x1440 ultrawide at home. Recently at my work one of my PCs was upgraded to a 32" 2560x1440 Philips monitor. And I have to admit, I am really likely everything about that resolution at that physical size. Considering something like that for home, but with gaming chops like the Dell you bought. But I don't want to give up G-Sync.

Here is the rtings.com review of the Dell. Certainly lots of info there! https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/s3220dgf They state they tested G-Sync and it worked but only over DisplayPort; not an issue for me since that is what I am running now. Their biggest complain is viewing angles.\

Right now with the sale and the 10%OFFMONITOR code that JD mentioned you can get this Dell for $494.99 CAD + tax. And you can get 2% Rakuten if you have that. Tempting...
Yes I love the curve, it's not harshly curved like some. It's running g-sync fine, no issues no screen tearing. I don't know what they are bitching about viewing angles. It's fine.

I'll post a pic later after the kids go down.

clshades

Whew nice! That two of the Dells? And nice desktop wallpaper 😁
Yes, I bought one on sale at Bestbuy after a failed attempt at buying one from Dell itself. I bid on another one from Ebay which I was certain I would lose, and won. So now I have 2 and I'm not really complaining to much heh. The top one is a color accurate 19x12 (Samsung 245T) that I can't seem to part with... originally it was worth just over a 1000 bux that I got here on the forum for about 400.

draemn

Yes, I bought one on sale at Bestbuy after a failed attempt at buying one from Dell itself. I bid on another one from Ebay which I was certain I would lose, and won. So now I have 2 and I'm not really complaining to much heh. The top one is a color accurate 19x12 (Samsung 245T) that I can't seem to part with... originally it was worth just over a 1000 bux that I got here on the forum for about 400.
Looking at your picture, the monitor on top looks better. in person when sitting at your desk how comparable are the bottom dell ones to the one on top for image quality and colour?

clshades

Looking at your picture, the monitor on top looks better. in person when sitting at your desk how comparable are the bottom dell ones to the one on top for image quality and colour?
The picture is not high def which might explain why it looks better on the smaller monitor. I'll post another with a better image and you can decide.

draemn

The picture is not high def which might explain why it looks better on the smaller monitor. I'll post another with a better image and you can decide.
Just looking for your subjective opinion as it's hard for a picture viewed on my monitor to look like it would in person.

draemn

Here are a few ultrawide options I've got sitting in my "maybe" list:
29" 1080:
34" 1440:
35" 1440:

I've decided I'd like to get an ultra-wide and I haven't ruled out the 29" 1080, but no way am I going 32" 1080, has to be 1440 at that point. I haven't found any reviews of IPS ultrawide that put them any better than VA panels that cost less. Typically, the better IPS are either not ultrawide or are over $1000.

Last edited: