What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

What should one be looking for when comparing monitors?

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
I just don't finance. If I can't pay for it, I shouldn't be upgrading.
I'm the same way on everything else. I do it for expensive monitors simply to speed up the process. I can buy now, instead of saving my fun money for a year.

draemn

I'm starting to lean back towards the $550-650 price range over the $800-900 price range as I think review sites are giving me a false impression of the flaws of the monitors compared to what's available. Like for example I read something about poor black uniformity and think "okay time to look for one that has better black uniformity." Well, does it really matter since all sub $1000 VA monitors have some issues with this? This monitor will still be a huge upgrade from my current TN panel. I think I'm better saving the $200-300 for some very minor issues.

lowfat

Staff member
What is your current display? Personally I think VA is a downgrade from TN for gaming if it's a 120Hz+ TN.

I really don't like VA. :eek:

draemn

What is your current display? Personally I think VA is a downgrade from TN for gaming if it's a 120Hz+ TN.

Asus VN247H-P

When I gave one to my partner to use as a 2nd display, holy crap did it look bad compared to hers for image quality.

Panel Size: Wide Screen 23.6"(59.9cm) 16:9
True Resolution : 1920x1080
Brightness(Max) : 250 cd/㎡
ASUS Smart Contrast Ratio (ASCR) : 80000000:1
Response Time : 1ms (Gray to Gray)
Display Colors : 16.7M
Refresh rate: 60hz

edit: I'm not sure if mine can run at 75hz, but apparently it was supposed to support 75hz since I bought the "-p" model, but the box it comes in doesn't have the "-p"

Lysrin

I'll let you know what I think when I get the Dell ;) I've seen VA panels that I have liked, and I do like the blacks.

I'll have my X34 to compare it to and that is a 100 Hz IPS compared to the Dell 165 Hz VA.

draemn

The real problem is the lack of IPS monitors in my price range. I've found 0 monitors so far that has the specs I'm looking for. The rest have been either the wrong resolution or 75hz and down (as you can see from my list in the first post). Now, if I was spending $1200-1400 or didn't go ultrawide format, I could totally go IPS.

Edit: right now these two are tempting me the most

Last edited:

Lysrin

The s32? It does 144 on HDMI too.
Yeah I bought one in that last sale! Thanks for your "encouragement" ;)

Yes it does, which is a good option too, but I am planning to run it on DisplayPort so I can get the G-Sync compatibility and the top Hz.

clshades

Yeah I bought one in that last sale! Thanks for your "encouragement" ;)

Yes it does, which is a good option too, but I am planning to run it on DisplayPort so I can get the G-Sync compatibility and the top Hz.
Yeh mine works fine. I use the Nvidia option for colour and it looks really good. No issues at all here.