What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

What should one be looking for when comparing monitors?

clshades

Just looking for your subjective opinion as it's hard for a picture viewed on my monitor to look like it would in person.
The color is a little better on the top monitor but it's also a 16.7 million on a 24" It's the main reason why I can't part with it for photo editing. I can get the colors really close on the other monitors though and it still looks really good. I mean, if you want a high refresh monitor with excellent colours it's gonna cost. I'm just not willing to spend 2k on that kind of monitor.

clshades

Here are a few ultrawide options I've got sitting in my "maybe" list:
29" 1080:
34" 1440:
35" 1440:

I've decided I'd like to get an ultra-wide and I haven't ruled out the 27" 1080, but no way am I going 32" 1080, has to be 1440 at that point. I haven't found any reviews of IPS ultrawide that put them any better than VA panels that cost less. Typically, the better IPS are either not ultrawide or are over $1000.
I'd got with the Asus personally. I wasn't entirely happy with my benq with the blacks, though they might be better now? I won't touch another LG monitor as long as I live. Colours have always been terrible imo.

draemn

I'd got with the Asus personally. I wasn't entirely happy with my benq with the blacks, though they might be better now? I won't touch another LG monitor as long as I live. Colours have always been terrible imo.
I was having some issues finding reviews about many of the monitors I looked up. Even the Asus didn't score amazing reviews or anything, complaints about backlight bleed/black uniformity as well as poor viewing angles.

Lysrin

Here are a few ultrawide options I've got sitting in my "maybe" list:
29" 1080:
34" 1440:
35" 1440:

I've decided I'd like to get an ultra-wide and I haven't ruled out the 27" 1080, but no way am I going 32" 1080, has to be 1440 at that point. I haven't found any reviews of IPS ultrawide that put them any better than VA panels that cost less. Typically, the better IPS are either not ultrawide or are over $1000.

Based on your 2x24" 1080p monitors, I think you'd be disappointed with 2560x1080. I think you'd find the whole thing feels smaller, because it would be :) Assuming your 24" are 1920x1080, you are going down in horizontal resolution from 1920x2 = 3840 to 2560. That doesn't make sense to me regardless of the cost.

Based on my experience, I would definitely go with 32" 16:9 1440p or the 34" or 35" ultrawides at 1440p for your price range. Assuming you have the GPU required to game at those resolutions. If you were gaming on the two 24" monitors you likely do, but if you were only using one for gaming, maybe not. Especially if you want high fps for taking advantage of high Hz monitors.

draemn

Based on your 2x24" 1080p monitors, I think you'd be disappointed with 2560x1080. I think you'd find the whole thing feels smaller, because it would be :) Assuming your 24" are 1920x1080, you are going down in horizontal resolution from 1920x2 = 3840 to 2560. That doesn't make sense to me regardless of the cost.

Based on my experience, I would definitely go with 32" 16:9 1440p or the 34" or 35" ultrawides at 1440p for your price range. Assuming you have the GPU required to game at those resolutions. If you were gaming on the two 24" monitors you likely do, but if you were only using one for gaming, maybe not. Especially if you want high fps for taking advantage of high Hz monitors.
1) I've actually only been able to use 2 monitors for a while since my display port on my GPU broke (only have 2 HDMI ports remaining), so it'll be an upgrade in screen real estate from what I've currently got.
2) My main focus here is the higher image quality and increased refresh rate

That said, my reasoning for considering 27" is if I can get more features for my $ with IPS instead of VA panel. Honestly, I haven't had much research in the 27" category, just haven't ruled them out yet.

draemn

https://www.newegg.ca/p/N82E16824116896 - hmmm this is also an interesting product for $900. Backlight strobing, MVA panel, 100hz, 3s gtg. Only downside is there isn't a lot for reviews and I have to find out if backlight strobing works with freesync. Good contrast ratios too

add: It makes me sad when I look at a great IPS monitor for $900 and the reviews are like "Yes, yes, YES, YES!" and then I realize that was the price in USD and it's way over my budget. lol, that LG 34gk950f just wasted 30 minutes of my time.

Last edited:

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Buy the Alienware AW3420 the next time it's on sale and use Dell's financing. It works out to about $40 / month.

draemn

If someone wants to send me the difference between my budget and that monitor I will. $900 before tax is already very high for the budget I have. So another $300-400 just isn't an option. From what I've heard it's still $1300 on sale

Latest posts