What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

What the ....??

omgwtf

I started having unwanted programs in my pc so I downloaded a registry tool to clean up my registrys..There all went wrong, I restarted my pc, my toolbar wasn't showing up, I runned explorer.exe it was in classic mode..argh, reinstalled Windows XP X64...now I see that my actual partition (C:\ that was 78gb) is now D:\..and D:\ is C:\)..WHAT THE HELLLLLLL???????????
On D:\ i supposed to have all my stuff, now i have them on C:\..and on D:\ i have a partition of 78gb with the system on it...Am I at risk?..

Shadowmeph

it sounds like to me that you partitioned your drive and possibly left the old OS on it you should have asked your disk to format the drive if you were going to reinstall but of course first back up everything. also that registry tool you used should have backed up your registry all you would have to do is start up that registry program you were using and looked for the backup reg command a huge rule of thumb is to always back up your registry before you or a program mess's with it

omgwtf

Know i need to remember the name...oh, but I thought that I formated C:... :blarg:
And if I don't remember?..what should I do? :(
Could it be BOOTSECT.BAK ?

Last edited:

llama_egg

Well, it sounds as though you ONLY reformatted C:\, but your drive is partitioned, thus, it considers itself more then one drive. If you have the time, and nothing you need on your HD, just kill everything on it and start fresh again. >_>

Also, always make a back up when you use a registry cleaner, for example, CCLeaner asks if you want to make a backup before you delete everything, that way if something goes wrong, you can just back it up.

llama_egg

There's probably an easier way of doing it, but that's the first thing that came to mind! There is a way to kill a partition...but do you think I can remember how? XD

AkG

Hate to say it...but....one word for you before you screw around with windows reg: "Acronis". Do a full OS drive backup, burn the rescue media to iso, merge the backup onto the iso, Burn the new iso to a full DVD. Presto even if the c drive becomes pooched you can always swap in a new drive and WHAM you are back up and runnin' in no time.

omgwtf

Something freaking strange happened. I tried that thing that was posted on microsoft ( Clicky ) and guess what? it didn't worked. The "welcome" thing didn't appeared. So I tried formatting the 2 partitions. I put in the Windows XP X64 SP2 bootable cd and it showed only the partition D:\ not only that but it was something like D:\Windows XP X64 (like the os was installed to D:)..so I removed the Xp cd and I put the vista dvd. There it showed me the both partitions correctly. I formated them I put back in the xp cd and began to install.
After the files were completely transfered to the pc it asked me to restart so I pressed enter to restart. and then it showed me something like this.
After I saw that I removed the cd and restarted, when It got to the installation process I slided the cd back in.

I am freaking out..well I succeded to install a fresh copy of Xp X64 ..but should I worry about that? or it was just the registry's playing tricks on me.

Attachments

• Img280.jpg
    Img280.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 66
  • Img281.jpg
    Img281.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 65

dstone

Backup all your data first to another hard drive.

Boot up with the XP cd, and delete all partitions, then create and format in NTFS just one partition for drive C: to install windows to.

Once you install windows and it's booting ok, go to disk management and create the other partitions.

Latest posts