What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

what to check when buying a used video card

WantaPC

Hi guys

I am planning to buy a used video card from someone. We will meet at his place.
What should I do when I'm there in order to make sure the card works as described?

Thank you

justmehereajax

I believe Passmark is a good benchmark. Numbers are available and consistent online.

A good game to test is GTA V. I think most people have that game in their Steam account.

Cannon Fodder

A good game to test is GTA V. I think most people have that game in their Steam account.
Methinks you're making way too many assumptions:

1.) The OP didn't say what sort of card was being looked at,
2.) You're assuming the seller is a gamer,
3.) You're assuming that even if the seller IS a gamer, that he even has a Steam account, AND likes GTA type games.... oh, and btw, I don't have GTA V in my Steam account.

justmehereajax

Also because of all the fine details ... test all the fans spinning and noise levels. Replacing a fan can be somewhat costly. I hear OEM replacement fans can be found on Aliexpress.

sswilson

Staff member
Unfortunately, it's hard to recommend a used card to anybody these days unless they know the person they're buying it from. No way to tell if it's been mined on 24/7 for the last couple of years and is a candidate for a fan failure.

danmitch1

Buyer beware eh... Its always a gamble, even if the card was the best taken care of card in the world who's to say the moment you install it that it wont fail. Question should be, do you feel lucky punk? ..lol

gingerbee

it's always a gamble but if you're going to the seller home I would run heaven benchmark for 10 to 20 mins and max out the cards heat/power/fans you can download it for free or bring it on a flash drive my2cents

Latest posts

Twitter