What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

What to do with a spare 240GB NVMe (installed)?

sswilson

Staff member
So.......

I got the aftermarket NVMe install bracket for the second port on this dell laptop and I've installed the WD 530 back into the laptop. It's mostly because I don't have any obvious use for it (too small for external backup, and I've already got a 128GB NVMe as an external USB drive) so I figured I might as well have it installed on the off chance that I have to send the laptop back in for RMA.

The main drive is a 1TB XPG and it's currently sitting @ about 66% free space with everything I use already on the laptop so I don't really need to move anything over to it (it'd be cramped with the current 170GB OneDrive files).

Anybody have any ideas on what to do with it? Any cool dual boot options out there for something like that I might want to consider? How about some form of VM?

Thoughts?

crazyea

What I always do with my second drive is move my user folders off of the main and onto the secondary. Make fresh installs easy if need be.

Bond007

Dedicate to one thing…games, or user folders (per crazyea), any specific apps you have that may have a lot of write cycles (save the wear and tear on the xpg drive), movie/video/photo storage (if you don’t just stream everything)…I can’t really think of anything “fun”.

sswilson

Staff member
What I always do with my second drive is move my user folders off of the main and onto the secondary. Make fresh installs easy if need be.
Dedicate to one thing…games, or user folders (per crazyea), any specific apps you have that may have a lot of write cycles (save the wear and tear on the xpg drive), movie/video/photo storage (if you don’t just stream everything)…I can’t really think of anything “fun”.

I thought about moving onedrive (which includes my docs / photos / music) but that runs somewhere around 170GB which would have the drive somewhere close to 2/3s full. I suppose that's not terrible and it still leaves me 60GB+ room for my photo collection to grow. (Really have to stay on top of deleting BST and Build photos when I'm no longer using them... :) ).

That's probably the route I'm going to go... I just wish Onedrive had a "move" function. As it stands I have to de-link the account and start over in order to put it on a different drive.

Shadowmeph

I am not sure it would be large enough for games .
I would use it for things like DOcs pics things like that

crazyea

Other suggestions.

- Move page file to second drive.
- Use for downloads only (ie-torrents)

Solace

Torrenting/VM drive to alleviate writes occurring in parallel. Ram disk seems useless these days for most cases. Or just go backup vital files.

sswilson

Staff member
Heh... well so far the only thing I've done with it is move my downloads folder, and create a temp folder. :)

That's taking up 1% of the available space.... :)

Latest posts