What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

What's a better gaming card?

SpateD

I have to either choose from a Galaxy or Palit 8800 GT 512MB card, or I can pick up the ATi Radeon HD 3870.. I don't know which is better for my gaming PC..

Going to be running Windows XP Home.. So I won't have Direct X10, and I also am getting the IP35 Pro mobo.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the Galaxy comes in an overclocked version at 2.0 GHz.. but it's actually cheaper then the regular Galaxy I think the heatsink is different.

Last edited:

SpateD

I'm only going to spend 250 on the card, it's either the overclocked Galaxy GT, or the none OC'd one, or the ATi. I just don't know which one is better.

The ones I'm looking at are on NCIX.com

Thund3rball

Me gots the Evga GT SC and am really happy with it! With good cooling you can OC them pretty well (depends) but even at stock they perform very well for the price :thumb:.

SpateD

Well Capt, does the ATi card work with my motherboard? the IP35 Pro..? I've getting the Antec 900 case so thats 3 good sized fans for cooling. all I care is if the ATi card is better for gaming..

Spblue

I've got the non-OC galaxy one, with the heatpipe cooler that looks like a Zalman. Very nice so far, I recommend it. I was able to OC the core from 600Mhz to 675Mhz and the memory from 1Ghz to 1.1Ghz with just the stock cooler. Tested stable by long Bioshock gaming sessions and Atitool. ;)

Very good bang-for-buck, and the fan's not too noisy. Which is great, because it's stuck at 100% and the Rivatuner fan controls don't seem to work at all. Oh well.

BALISTX

I would say for the HIS Radeon HD 3870 ICEQ3 775MHz core speed and 2.2GHz memory speed. It's got a better cooler than stock and it can still OC like mad.

NCIX has it onsale for $239.99

belgolas

Well most benchmark say that the 8800 GT is a bit better than the 3870. But the GT can get hot. If there is a good cooler on it then you can overclock the GT too. So both cards can overclock. But the 3870 is alittle cheaper and you are supporting ATI (so they get more money to make higher end cards). The choice is yours. Both are very good cards for the money.

SpateD

I decided to take the OC'd Galaxy because I got it on sale at NCIX.. It's cheaper then the non OC'd one. If need be, I can always put on a different cooling system for it.

Latest posts