What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

What's the best deal? Max price = $100

hfxmike

I'm in Halifax, so I'll have to have it shipped. But thanks for the tip on the price matching!

Izerous

Folding Team
+1 for Memex. VERY good peeps to deal with. Reminds of the old NCIX before they became greedy, lazy sods. :)

Usually buy from MemEx due to their price match policy. They are maybe 5-10 minutes away from me though so i have not had to deal with their shipping process.

I have had my problems with them. Using them for warranties outside of IPR warranties is a waste of time and money send it off yourself. They also sent a purchase to collections because their system said I didn't pay for it thankfully I kept the receipt, also if I didn't pay for it why did you give me the video card (8800GTS to give an idea of how long ago it was).

But even with that usually they are on the ball and I have only had 1 price match every questioned. MemEx's sale price ended on one day and a competitor ended the sale the day after. Since their policy is 10% the difference it ended up ~70% off regular price. Had to spend a couple extra minutes waiting for the manager to re-validate everything and sign off on it.

They have even given rain checks on Daily Deals that sold out, Wanted a mx red keyboard for the office and they were selling @$50 each and were sold out by the time I made it there. Asked nicely if there was any way to still get one at that price and they agreed to evaluate it when the next shipment came in.

hfxmike

Sorry to everyone that I'm all over the map and changing my mind, but this just came up for $60:

https://www.newegg.ca/Special/ShellShocker.aspx

(SeaSonic S12II Series S12II 620 Bronze (SS-620GB))

I don't need modular, will be running a rx 570 and maybe an i5 - maybe a small bit of overclocking. 5 sata drives. Quiet fan is not a priority.

Some of the comments raise concerns (ticking sound) - always a lemon for every 100+ sold....but as long as it has normal length cables I think I'll be getting this.

I know the proper response should be "JUST BUY IT ALREADY!!", any thoughts are welcome. :)
This one was recommended on the first page of the thread, so maybe this sale is a sign from above. lol

Izerous

Folding Team
I don't think at least semi modular power supplies make life a little easier. The 24 pin doesn't need to be modular but it sure is nice not having to have a whole rats nest of cables to deal with.

Bond007

Sorry to everyone that I'm all over the map and changing my mind, but this just came up for $60:

https://www.newegg.ca/Special/ShellShocker.aspx

(SeaSonic S12II Series S12II 620 Bronze (SS-620GB))

I don't need modular, will be running a rx 570 and maybe an i5 - maybe a small bit of overclocking. 5 sata drives. Quiet fan is not a priority.

Some of the comments raise concerns (ticking sound) - always a lemon for every 100+ sold....but as long as it has normal length cables I think I'll be getting this.

I know the proper response should be "JUST BUY IT ALREADY!!", any thoughts are welcome. :)
This one was recommended on the first page of the thread, so maybe this sale is a sign from above. lol

For $60 and your uses it will be fine. The issue was with spending 80+ on something like this with better options available for only a touch more. For $60 it is a great budget option if you can live the cables.

AkG

Yeah. The S12 may be an older design but I ran a ton of them for years. Good kit. Hit buy and stop stressing over 'best'. A good deal is a good deal.

JD

Staff member
Agreed, that's a great deal and will work perfectly with your 570 and Ryzen 3/5 down the road.

hfxmike

I've decided to get a new, modular power supply. So just keeping an eye on prices and deals. Probably end up with an EVGA 650 GQ or similar. In the meantime, I have my old Thermaltake 600W Purepower, that is running an old 6870. While I'm waiting for a deal, I'm thinking of using an old supplementary PSU. It's a SirTec HighPower VGA Booster. I had it running a 2nd 6870 in crossfire for a while.

This would be used to power the RX 570 (single 8pin connector) - I found this power consumption info:
[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Radeon RX 570 - 25A and a 450W PSU minimum[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
This is a review of the supplemental PSU
https://web.archive.org/web/20080119011259/http://www.ocia.net/reviews/sirtec400vga/page4.shtml

Would this be a good power source for the video card and nothing else? I'd only be using one of the 8 pin connectors. I know the card would never pull 400W, but I don't know enough about the rail configuration of this thing. It did work perfectly before using 2 x 6 pins for the 6870 though.

Mike
ps - I will definitely be getting a new PSU, because even if this thing works, the cables are a nightmare.

Bond007

I personally don't ever do builds with a PSU I don't trust...I wouldn't trust High Power. Again, if you are using older components and don't mind potentially losing something due bad power, then go for it.

You really seem to want to just get any power supply to have things running...lots of people do that with no issues, but you won't find many people on this site that are willing to feed poor power to anything they build.