What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

whats the difference between PCIe 2.0 x16 and pcie x16

Shadowmeph

I am wondering about this my mother board is a gigabyte p35 ds3l and I am pretty sure the the pcie x16 slot is not a PCIe 2.0 x16 would I notice any performance difference between the two slots? what I mean is is it actually worth it for me to upgrade my mother board to get PCIe 2.0 x16 ?

Squeetard

"Quote This..."
pcie 2.0 is a faster interface, just like sata2 is. But we are nowhere near saturating a 16 lane pcie bus with current vid cards. Not worth it.

Jake_HT

What he said... it's like getting a CAT6 ethernet cable when you have a 5mb connection and expecting different results. Ain't gunna happen!

Exmortis

PCIE 2.0 would probably be noticed if you were to say run a pair of 4870 X2s. Otherwise with one card, I agree with the above posts.

Chilly

While I agree with the above posts, that *currently* nothing saturates a x16 slot let alone a 2.0 x16 slot, no ones explained what the actual diffrence is. 2.0 x16 is double, thats DOUBLE the speed of a 1.0 x16 slot.

To quote Wikipedia: The first-generation PCIe transfers data at a 2.5 GT/s (gigatransfer per second) signaling rate per lane. PCIe version 2.0 provides an increase in the signaling rate to 5 GT/s per lane.