What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

what's your experience with 'certified pre-owned' phones from mobility providers?

Mr. Friendly

the battery on my A50 (2017) loaner is beginning to fail; runs down to 50% with surfing for just a few hours, so I'm looking at my options on Fido. I was really hoping to hold out for the A72 5G, but when I was looking at the A52 5G, I saw they have 'certified pre-owned' 20 FE 5G for a few bucks less than the A52 5G, so it seems to be a no brainer. thoughts?

sswilson

Staff member
I've had good luck with Koodo's CPO phones, don't know if that's an industry standard though. Why are you focused on 5G devices though?

sswilson

Staff member
I'm not...but literally everything is going 5G whether you want it or not.

Yes, but in the current market "5G" is the marketing/technical term/feature they're applying to up market phones in order to distinguish them from their more budget friendly brethren.

Mr. Friendly

Yes, but in the current market "5G" is the marketing/technical term/feature they're applying to up market phones in order to distinguish them from their more budget friendly brethren.
yes...but they're the only phones available with the few things I want.

Izerous

Folding Team
I'm near the end of my term and my USB port's connection is a little wonky (port not cable). So have been looking at a lot of phone again, I saw the TCL deal but looking at all the specs is sold as a "2021" model but it is running hardware older/slower than even the LG Velvet 5G which had a release date of May 2020 so do need to pay a bit of attention to what they are offering. Not bashing the phone for that but just because it is a new model doesn't mean it is running new hardware.

If you have shaw in your area their mobile plans they have come out with are really agressive. Event without an existing shaw internet package a S20 FE 5G for example is $360 upfront
$15/mo for unlimited calling/text (free if you have shaw internet)
$25/mo for phone payments
$10/rollover GB (lasts 3 months max)

vs

(cheapest plan fido would let me select with the TCL)
Fido's TCL deal offered me this
$45.00/mo.
Payment Program Promotion credit
Expires in 24 months
-$5.17/mo.
Line 1 - Monthly financed device payment
$35.17/mo.
GST/HST on plan and add-ons
$1.99/mo.
Monthly financed device tax - GST/HST
$1.76/mo.
Total monthly fee after tax
$78.75/mo.

With shaw yes less data overall but I can easily make 1GB stretch 3 months as at home and work i'm always within wifi range. Only when i'm running errands do I use data and I don't need that much to compare a price or check an e-mail when i'm out and about. So a TCL phone that is more than a year older would cost me almost 2x more over the term of the contract, free TV or not the nearly $40/mo difference I'd rather have in my pocket even with the upfront fee.

Mr. Friendly

@Izerous up here in Prince Rupert I only have the big three and their subsidiaries for cellular. all the local telecommunication is from a private company called City West. so no option for an ISP but them.

Mr. Friendly

@Izerous also, I don't need a top of the line phone with cutting edge processor. as long as it's a lot faster than my current A5 from 2017 and has a 6.7" (or bigger) AMOLED (or equivalent) scrreen with a high refresh rate, I think I'll be fine. other than the tiny screen, the A5 I have has been more than enough, so I'm pretty sure any of the mid-range phones out there with a Snapdragon 690 or better CPU will be good.

the problem is that there aren't very many mid-range phones with the specs I want, aside from the A72 5G, but only the non 5G model has been announced and from what I can tell, it's not coming to Canada, otherwise I'd probably grab it. looking at the benchmarks, there is very little difference between the 720G and 750G.

and my plan at Fido is pretty good. $55/m with 15GB of data, so no need to change there.

Izerous

Folding Team
depedning on cost of phone fido will force you to move tiers. Just can't justify paying nearly 2x for a much older phone if the option is there. But as you said your options are also limited to providers. Actually double checking the specs the TCL 20 is worse than my LG G7 from 2018... Maybe there is older inventory like that laying around.

Selection just in general seems to suck right now and prices on some phones are just nuts. One of the samsungs I looked at was $1300 or so upfront and $40/mo charge for the phone after that.

Last edited: