What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

What's your ideal setup?

Jack Rabbit

Within the realm of reality what kind of system would you like to have? I mean a reasonable system for a reasonably average person; not a lotto winner. You can't have Google's server farms or a zillion GPUs for folding. For some it might be a MacBook Pro and free wireless at Starbucks. Others might want the largest case available with all the bells a whistles crammed in. Others might want several similar systems so they can lan with their buddies on the weekend. Others may really want a media PC as part of the mix (I don't own a tele so that's not high on my list).

I'll start. I would like to have:

• A low power (electrical power) desktop for an always available web/e-mail machine.
  • An upper middle class game machine upgraded every 18-24 months.
  • A server with lots of RAM and hard drive space for file storage, backups, and virtual machines.
  • A discrete gateway/firewall (m0n0wall on recycled parts) with gigabit wired network and 802.11n.
  • A laptop for when I'm on the move, on the patio, or as a guest computer.
  • A small and cheap netbook to carry around when the laptop would be a burden.
  • A couple bench machines for testing and troubleshooting (probably retired game machine parts).
What would you like to put together? If you already have it, what is it?

Overclocker~4.1

Hmm whats reasonable? well here is my take.

What i would like to have.

1. Dual Intel CPU's, could be low end CPU's. But I would like to have a dual CPU rig.
2. SLI and a dedicated PPU.
3. Nice big case, like.. big. enough to hold a triple fan rad and a dual fan rad. one loop for the CPU's and one loop for the GPU's.
4. 4 Tb of storage in Raid 0+1 then 2 SSD's for a Raid 0 OS disk.
5. about 8 Gigs or ram for each Proc at least. and triple 20" monitor setup.

b1lk1

I have the PC in my sig that is my all in one server/gamer/workhorse/print server/etc... It does everything I need and then some. I just picked up a nice little ASUS UL80VT Notebook that is small and light yet powerful enough to casually game. I also have an i5 system I use for testing various parts. As for my network, I may not have a speedy network, but what I have is nearly bulletproof. My house is wired for networking and my PS3 and notebook do everything wirelessly The only thing I would change if I had the cash would be a couple high end graphics cards for my main PC.

I think too many people don't work their PC's enough or to their true potential. I used to be all about benchmarking and optimization, now I just run things stock and steady and I look for reliability over the fastest possible speeds. Just as an example, yesterday I was encoding some old VHS-C videos to burn to DVD while either playing a game or doing some writing. While I was doing this my wife was accessing the music stored on my PC with the Playstation 3 and she was using the laptop printing off pictures which also go through my PC as the printers are both attached to it. Multitasking is not only a consideration to me, it is a MUST.

0o0

Banned
I'm not gonna go there because it'd hurt either my heart or my wallet if I do:whistle:

edit: ok fine I'll play:haha:
Primary:
haf922
4+1 raid'ed WD blackie 640gb
bluray drive
x25m 160gbx2
i7 860
gtx380 (when it comes:ph34r:)
p7p55d premium
hx850
Venemous X (I need to check speeling on that one)
p55a-ud4p
a bunch of mini-typhoon fans
Sentry LX fan controller
and a laptop, a netbook, an htpc with 6x2tb greens and 4 teamed gigabit nics (if possible):biggrin:

Last edited:

Zero82z

Banned
Dual Gulftown EE CPUs with a tri-SLI Fermi setup, 24GB of RAM, a quartet of SSDs in RAID 10 as OS drives plus a few 2TB WD Black drives in RAID 5 for data storage, an ASUS Xonar Essence STX sound card, a Silverstone ST1500, all in a Corsair Obsidian 800D or Coolermaster ATCS 840 case, and three 30" LCDs. I think that about covers it.

Last edited:

Zero82z

Banned
so you need 2 pair of raid 0 disk in mirror to make a raid 10 ... it's make 4 disks :whistle:

and you forget the keyboard at $ 1200 what is the name again
You're right, I was going to say RAID1 at first and then I changed my mind :thumb:. And I don't actually want one of those $1500 keyboards. Apparently they suck to type on, and I don't even look at the keyboard when I type anyway, so it would be pretty useless for me.

_dangtx_

Banned
id actually go with an amd on that one, 45 watter of your choice. mobo with onboard video, least ammount of components(2gb sticks of ram) and a nice psu, say earthwatts 430?

Linus

My computer is pretty much perfect as far as I can tell

Core i7 975XE @ 4GHz
DFI LANparty UT X58-T3EH8
12GB DDR3 1600MHz
2x GTX 260 SLI
Corsair HX1000
Silverstone TJ07B-W w/ powdercoated interior
Custom water cooling with mCubed T-balancer for noise management
Auzentech X-Mystique
LG Blu-Ray/HD-DVD combo drive
OCZ Vertex 120GB (OS & Programs)
2x Intel X25-M 80GB RAID-0 (STEAM)
Corsair P128 (not sure what to use it for yet. On a fresh format with a new drive arrangement as of today)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Samsung 305T 30" monitor
Steelseries Ikari Laser on QCK+ pad
Logitech G15 gen1
Logitech G25
Saitek AV8R
Microsoft wireless Xbox 360 controller
Sennheiser HD555 headphones
Sennheiser PC161 (just for mic)

For storage I have a WHS box with a Pentium D on an eVGA 790i board with 2GB of RAM and about 3.5TB of hard drive space. Video is handled by a PCI GeForce MX400 or w/e it's called :p

This pretty much takes care of all of my needs, but I guess I'll probably drop a few bucks on a couple of fermis once they launch.

Last edited:

Latest posts