What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

What's your ideal setup?

Sushi Warrior

A nice simplistic case mod with a silent gaming/folding rig inside. Not overtly powerful (maybe 260's in SLI) but not weak either :punk:

Netbook for school. Don't care what the specs are as long as it has a good keyboard - most netbooks are the same under the hood anyways.

A DL box. Oh, and throw in unlimited bandwidth internet and an ISP who doesn't care about P2P too :bleh:

Polygon

-A server with about 5TB of hard drive space for all my storage.
-A up to date enthusiast rig for gaming, rendering and other digital artwork (designing, drawing, etc)
-A netbook to take to school and writing up stuff, using email and surfing the net + taking to the library/café's when doing school work.
-A more powerful notebook to use for photoshop, fireworks, indesign to take to school, etc. on the go
-A decent extra desktop computer to use as a server or to test hardware, play around with linux and other stuff.
-A HTPC to hook up to my TV and play back HD movies

lowfat

Staff member
Pretty much what I have. W/ the exception of a better videocard. I really don't think I can find any pc that will be much faster than it. Although I do wish it could somehow be quieter :sad:

bissa

gigabyte hardwiring throughout the entire house to minimize wireless use.
data server with 5 of the medium highest capacity HDDs available at the time in raid 5. will operate as a print server as well.
HTPC server with 3 medium capacity HDDs in raid 5.
5-6 cheap terminal type computers.
one surfing server that the terminals will link to so I can access all the same data from any room the the terminals are in.
gaming peripherals in the room adjacent to server room, the computer itself would be in the server room to null as much noise as possible.
server room with dedicated cooling system for that room only.
if it has become feasible cost wise, a touchscreen on the terminal in the kitchen or all of them.

note this is all for a future plan so I do not know what technologies will have been advanced by that time.

EDIT: and 2-3 servers for experimentation with software before implementation at where I work.

Linus

Pretty much what I have. W/ the exception of a better videocard. I really don't think I can find any pc that will be much faster than it. Although I do wish it could somehow be quieter :sad:

Needs moar mCubed T-balancer....

I brought my PC in to work for a tech tips related project and the cameraman was like "holy crap. your computer is soooo quiet. I can't even hear it"

lowfat

Staff member
Needs moar mCubed T-balancer....

I brought my PC in to work for a tech tips related project and the cameraman was like "holy crap. your computer is soooo quiet. I can't even hear it"

I have one of the original ones in my closet somewhere. Bought it back in ~2003. It worked great but it made wiring a case disastrous. 4-5 sensors plus all the fan extensions made a nasty job.

Either way AFAIK it doesn't control AC fans. Which are my problem.

Linus

I have one of the original ones in my closet somewhere. Bought it back in ~2003. It worked great but it made wiring a case disastrous. 4-5 sensors plus all the fan extensions made a nasty job.

Either way AFAIK it doesn't control AC fans. Which are my problem.

AC fans?!?!?! That's hardcore. What do you have those for?

That aside, the wiring really shouldn't be that bad. You can splice fans together into zones anyway. For example, my 3 fans on my PA120.3 have the power connectors spliced together, 2 of the RPM sensors cut off, and then I run the three remaining wires (all power and 1 RPM sensor) up to the T-balancer. That way it gives me a rough idea of the RPMs while powering and controlling all 3.

As for the sensors, only use what you need. I use only two. One is attached to one of my rads and controls the fans on my rads according to water temp, the other is sitting in my chipset heatsink because any time the computer is doing something intensive the chipset (air cooled) will heat up, so that will tell my air cooling fans to kick in.

gingerbee

well i kinda of agree with bclk i want my many machine to do almost all of my needs at once multitasking is a must for me.

bojangles

My ideal setup:

-Main computer, used for gaming and productivity
-13" notebook, used for portability and email/web
-NAS, as I don't have a need for a home server just yet
-Gigabit LAN with 802.11n, for faster transfer speeds between computers
-Xbox360/PS3 for streaming video to TV or use a WDTV Live for that purpose

Latest posts