What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

What's your ideal setup?

b1lk1

All this talk about home servers makes little sense. My main PC does this job just fine and I don't have extra hardware around to maintain. My PC has Vista 64, my notebook has 7 64 and my kids PC is XP 32. Even my PS3 has no issues in this mix. All these devices see and communicate just fine. Granted, the speed is not breathtaking, but it does work fine. The only thing I would change in my entire network is upgrading my kids PC to 7, but I am still waiting for my keys from M$ (they are so damn slow) because that would allow it easier access to everything.

Rison

Administrator
Folding Team
I agree with Markone here - my WHS has become the most important computer on my LAN. Between my workstations, laptops, and the girlfriends computers it's become rather necessary to have. Also having a media streamer connect to it (rather than the neverending lineup of usb keys)

No worries about making sure Norton Ghost is updated with latest image for the operating system drive, and no needing to mirror raid server OS drives with the horrible write speeds.

Edit: oh, and to stay on topic - I have my ideal setup.. just needing to upgrade a laptop or two. WHS + main gaming PC + secondary linux box + PBO media streamer + work laptop + g/f computer + g/f laptop.. with a Dlink DGS1024 switch + cat6 all around, is all I hope to ever need. :)

gingerbee

well i don't see the need for a server i keep backups in a safe deposit box. because your house can always burn down then where are you. jmo

b1lk1

Selling my main PC is not even an option for the forseeable future considering the power it has. Also, my OS and such is on a separate 500GB partition, the rest of my data is on the second 1.5tb partition. All my other units access that partition and my personal 500gb partition AND my PC is off limits to anyone else but myself. Don't get me wrong, WHS machines are worthwhile, but for me, that would mean building and maintaining another machine when I have a perfectly usable and sensible option in farming out the rest of my drive. Plus it allows me to set it up as a print server as well.

To each their own here.

Lamb

My ideal setup would be...

Well I really like my actual setup, but I'd probably change my 2 actual monitors for 3 x 24 inchs + a 7.1 Onkyo sound system then that'd be good as I can do whatever I want with what I have ATM.

Jack Rabbit

Thanks everyone who posted a contribution.

As far as what 'reasonable' is, that's part of the reason for asking the question.

Latest posts