What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Whats your latest purchase?

enaberif

the problem with home automation is there is no brand you can truly trust as they've almost all had some sort of unprotected flaw or have had their platform breached.

that said, if I do home automation, TPL's Kasa looks good.

Except I'm running commercial grade network equipment.

I have an Aruba 48 port switch, Unifi AC-Pro and a 1u box running OpnSense. Networked devices I don't trust get nothing more that internet access and have zero access to any other part of my network.

For other stuff I have Home Assistant setup and running a small ZHA based network with a few zigbee based devices.

Soultribunal

Staff member
the problem with home automation is there is no brand you can truly trust as they've almost all had some sort of unprotected flaw or have had their platform breached.

that said, if I do home automation, TPL's Kasa looks good.

This is why my home is as Analog as it gets.
In 10 years time there won't be a person alive who can pick my locks, or even figure out how to turn on my Lights (j/k).

Twice my car has had its fob copied, and someone attempting to steal it, only to have them run away when they see the 3 pedals and that weird shifter with all those numbers.

-ST

enaberif

This is why my home is as Analog as it gets.
In 10 years time there won't be a person alive who can pick my locks, or even figure out how to turn on my Lights (j/k).

Twice my car has had its fob copied, and someone attempting to steal it, only to have them run away when they see the 3 pedals and that weird shifter with all those numbers.

-ST

Only weirdos do automation with door locks 🤣 My automation is mostly around lighting.

Case in point. When they built my house in 1999 they didn't think to run a line from the garage to the house to turn on any lights. So I put two wifi flood light bulbs at the man door which I can turn off or on with a wireless button on my counter.

I have 3 lights at the back of my garage in the alley which again I have no way to control other than turning on the switch from the garage. So I bought 3 bulbs to go out there and then I can control them from my phone so that I have light in the alley and not be pitch black.

Automation has a lot of good uses but a lot of people just make it out to be silly or unsafe.

Case in point I have a temperature sensor in my garage and I can see what the temp and humidity is so I can decide when its winter time if I need to dress warm or not go outside at all.1701464941238.png

Soultribunal

Staff member
Only weirdos do automation with door locks 🤣 My automation is mostly around lighting.

Case in point. When they built my house in 1999 they didn't think to run a line from the garage to the house to turn on any lights. So I put two wifi flood light bulbs at the man door which I can turn off or on with a wireless button on my counter.

I have 3 lights at the back of my garage in the alley which again I have no way to control other than turning on the switch from the garage. So I bought 3 bulbs to go out there and then I can control them from my phone so that I have light in the alley and not be pitch black.

Automation has a lot of good uses but a lot of people just make it out to be silly or unsafe.

Case in point I have a temperature sensor in my garage and I can see what the temp and humidity is so I can decide when its winter time if I need to dress warm or not go outside at all.View attachment 38886

Sadly,

There are a lot of idiots out there. Automated and App Controlled Door locks are huge in the market (at least here) and something that is so easily bypassed if you know what you're doing.

There is good use to automation, I get that. I have a full on weather station with a precipitation meter and everything done via Zigbee, and its great because I can know at a glance what its like outside , wind speed and direction, ect ect.

A lot of what bugs me with it are baby monitors, and locks.

-ST

Caldezar

Whenever people talk about weather stats gear so they know the weather, I always think of Good Morning Vietnam:

"What's the weather like?"
" You got a window? Open it!"
:ROFLMAO:

As far as home automation, I don't have much myself as I'm an alarmingly analogue guy in a digital world. But everything I have that's a smart/IoT device of any kind gets it's own VLAN carved out that has no access to my internal network and limited internet access.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Based on the price, you went with the DW, and not the DWF?

No, no, no...I'm definitely not considering replacing my 3418DW with the 3423DW. Why would someone do such a thing??? Who could possibly want a 34" second monitor. Such a waste! :rolleyes:
i had 2 3423dws but even my desk couldn't contain em and even plug them in unless i went and got a monitor arm lol. to say i hamstringed myself would be a understatement the 7900xtx doesn't play nice with these lol so time to get a 55" LG G3 MLA OLED and Freesync it is.

lowfat

Staff member
I am secretly becoming obsessed with Home Automation

Those are BLE bulbs right? Can HA control this without an Echo has a hub, which requires the cloud?

I have 20+ smart bulbs and use none of them. Including a bunch of those Sengleds (Got them all free w/ Echo purchases). It just IMO isn't convenient at all. The only way to do it do properly is by having a smart switch that only acts as a toggle for the smart lights, not actually disconnecting power.

In my old place I had about 15 motion sensors throughout the house, which was neat. But anytime a guest was over and turned off lights it screwed shit up. You can't expect other people to not touch a light switch.

enaberif

Those are BLE bulbs right? Can HA control this without an Echo has a hub, which requires the cloud?

I have 20+ smart bulbs and use none of them. Including a bunch of those Sengleds (Got them all free w/ Echo purchases). It just IMO isn't convenient at all. The only way to do it do properly is by having a smart switch that only acts as a toggle for the smart lights, not actually disconnecting power.

In my old place I had about 15 motion sensors throughout the house, which was neat. But anytime a guest was over and turned off lights it screwed shit up. You can't expect other people to not touch a light switch.

They use ZHA (zigbee) which is a lower power mesh style network.

I use Home Assistant with a USB host which acts as a controller for the rest of the network. Any other zigbee devices connected to main power acts as a repeater so it can grow and grow.

These devices don't cut main power and only power to the device itself so the light switch can always be left on which then only controls the bulb. You can use small switches made by Aqara to control things if you want or use the HA app on your phone, tablet or browser if you wish.

Some devices use BLE and some use Wifi but they can still integrate with Home Assistant.

If people are interested I can go into depth with this.

1701559988115.png

lowfat

Staff member
They use ZHA (zigbee) which is a lower power mesh style network.

I use Home Assistant with a USB host which acts as a controller for the rest of the network. Any other zigbee devices connected to main power acts as a repeater so it can grow and grow.

These devices don't cut main power and only power to the device itself so the light switch can always be left on which then only controls the bulb. You can use small switches made by Aqara to control things if you want or use the HA app on your phone, tablet or browser if you wish.

Some devices use BLE and some use Wifi but they can still integrate with Home Assistant.

If people are interested I can go into depth with this.

View attachment 38897
Having to leave the switch on is the problem IMO. And having to use a smartphone is an absolute deal breaker. That just isn't convenient at all. Has to be motion or voice. But buttons HAVE to be there. I can't expect my 83 year old parents to say 'computer, turn on living room lights' when they are visiting.

I'm not a fan of zigbee at all TBH. Have 7 or so Hues. But occasionally a couple of them would just not turn on/off when requested. None of them were all that far from each other. Bought and flashed a CC2531 and setup ZHA. Was SO much more unreliable. Bought the Sonoff USB stick and it was even worse than the CC2531. Wifi is just so much more reliable IMO. I had over 60 wifi devices @ last place and never had an issue.

I've used HA for probably 6 or so years and have spend hundreds of hours fine tuning my Node Red automations. But besides for power monitoring I haven't touched it in a year. Although I will probably add an Ecobee in the next couple of months.

An example of my NR automations. Have 434 nodes currently. Have had over 600 at times but I've use to spend like an hour or more a day improving / cleaning them up.

Screenshot 2023-12-02 at 16-51-22 Node-RED homeassistant.home.png
Screenshot 2023-12-02 at 16-52-14 Node-RED homeassistant.home.png
Screenshot 2023-12-02 at 16-53-23 Node-RED homeassistant.home.png

We also have a HA thread. But besides me and @zoob it didn't see much traffic.

Latest posts