What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Whats your latest purchase?

FreeKnight

After booking my Cancun trip and noticing I still had over 400K aeroplan points, I booked a week in Punta Cana next February for my birthday. Was able to book business both ways too and still have over 250K points left.

Spending a week at Excellence Punta Cana which is supposed to be very swanky.

Lysrin

After booking my Cancun trip and noticing I still had over 400K aeroplan points, I booked a week in Punta Cana next February for my birthday. Was able to book business both ways too and still have over 250K points left.

Only been to Punta Cana once, stayed at the Dreams Onyx... I think owned by Hyatt now or something. But very much enjoyed our time in Dominican.

Bond007

Nice...but I must ask:

1. how long has it taken you to get that many points?
2. if it was fast, do you spend crazy amounts to get them, or is it a really good credit card?
3. profit?

FreeKnight

Nice...but I must ask:

1. how long has it taken you to get that many points?
2. if it was fast, do you spend crazy amounts to get them, or is it a really good credit card?
3. profit?
1 year. Mostly due to good card returns.

I had an AMEX Aeroplan Reserve personal, $599/year and fee was waived the first year (I cancelled before the annual fee). With the signup bonus and using it for most daily spending probably got ~150K points on it, likely more.

Also got the AMEX Aeroplan reserve business as I was flying 1-2x a month for to Vancouver $599 annual fee, also waived the first year and cancelled before renewal. I probably got 250-300K points on that. Because I had to book cheap flights due to the work contract I didn't make as much as you might think on the business, but it makes my book keeping easier.

The AMEX cards are, tbh, great cards. $599 sounds like a really high fee, but you get free Maple Leaf Lounge access on any Air Canada flight booked with the card, as well as priority boarding and 2 free checked luggage. For every 5K spent on the card you earn 1SQS towards you Star Alliance status. If you fly 3-4 times a year with a checked bag it pays for itself, plus it has the best vehicle insurance I could find if you prefer to rent BMWs, Audis, etc.

As I'm not travelling for work anymore I switched to the just the TD infinite aeroplan visa (still $599). Same perks but you don't earn as many points as the AMEX, upside is you never run into the 'we don't take AMEX' problem. It happened more than I expected.

The AMEX card really shines in it's offers though. The TD card, like every Major Canadian bank card doesn't do much in the way of offers. "Here's your normal perks, your points, and this is our fee"
With the AMEX card you get tons of offers via your AMEX account. For example within 10 months I got;
- Spend $100 at lululemon get a $10 statement credit (occurred twice for me)
- Dell 10% credit up to $5000 ($500) which I used on the oled montior.
- Buy 1 year of Disney plus ($120) get a whole year free ( save $120)
etc.

On offers alone I probably saved 300-400. Not enough to pay for the card but with the Air Canada lounge and luggage savings I definitely more than broke even.

I mostly switched as I ran into the 'No AMEX' thing enough that it was annoying (No Loblaws, lots of mom & pops don't), but I wouldn't be surprised if I switch back in another year. Was way happier with the service and perks at AMEX than TD. Can always buy gift cards with the amex for the few places that don't take it that I go to.

Cypher^64

If anyone is looking for a mini pc, the Minisforum NPB6 so far seems like a decent device. Used it all afternoon and could barely hear it and it's really fast. Benchmarks faster than my work laptop with an Intel 1370p