What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Whats your latest purchase?

Pabz0r545

whaaaaaaaat?

No way, I totally love automatics. I love how they keep you guessing. I love the 5 minute wait for it to actually downshift and go while in traffic. I love when it's slippery out you try to leave quickly and the thing downshifts and spins, so you let up a bit and then it decides to upshift and pull away slowly.

Stupid things should be banned. If you can't drive a standard I'm sure the nuances of traffic flow and "paying attention" is too hard as well, and you probably shouldn't be driving.

Wait a minute, this isn't the rant thread is it? :eek:fftopic:

I don't know what kind of automatic you were driving. Must have been american. :p

I like driving auto. Not that I can't drive standard auto is so much easier!

M

member 3099

installed a boost / vacuum gauge. What a pain in the ass!!!!!!

458969_10151327452356293_165395089_o.jpg

Perineum

I don't know what kind of automatic you were driving. Must have been american. :p

Yes, it was American. I refuse to believe that somehow other countries figured out how to make automatics work better when North America has *got* to have the most automatics per capita than anywhere else in the world.

I despise driving auto. For me driving standard is just easier in every way and offers much more control.... and fun.

Soultribunal

Staff member

The great thing about my manuals too is the lack of specialized fluids for the tranny.
My first service interval on my Rio5's Tranny is 250,000km.

The Magentis is every 40K, costs $280 each time (has to be Diamond 4+ Fluid, which is not cheap).

Own a Honda and the LZR1/2+ fluid is still just as damn expensive, and if you budge on those service intervals you have issues. I hear a lot of horror stories from the MR T and AAMCO we have next door to Partsource.

Anywho lol,
To each there own I suppose, I'll stick with my manuals. No Electronics (save a speed sensor), no Special fluids that need to be changed in regular intervals, no TCC.

-ST

b1lk1

The money you spend on fluid changes in an automatic transmission is offset by the cost of a new clutch in any manual transmission car. Practically a wash if not in favor FOR the automatic.

Also, automatics are better suited and stronger for towing today. Back in the 80's you needed that massive cast steel manual transmission in your pickup to haul anything heavy, but now the current class of automatics are nearly indestructible in regards to towing while any light/medium duty manual is not able to haul as much.

Personal vehicles are more fun when a standard until you get into traffic gridlock, no matter how easy the clutch pedal is, it still sucks.

Soultribunal

Staff member
The money you spend on fluid changes in an automatic transmission is offset by the cost of a new clutch in any manual transmission car. Practically a wash if not in favor FOR the automatic.

Also, automatics are better suited and stronger for towing today. Back in the 80's you needed that massive cast steel manual transmission in your pickup to haul anything heavy, but now the current class of automatics are nearly indestructible in regards to towing while any light/medium duty manual is not able to haul as much.

Personal vehicles are more fun when a standard until you get into traffic gridlock, no matter how easy the clutch pedal is, it still sucks.

That is only if you ever need to replace that.
If you drive like an idiot or don't know how to properly engage a clutch then you will for sure. But my wife as my witness on here, I put 190K on the RX-V, 240 on the Sunfire, and 192 on the ZX2. Never once have I had to do a clutch. Yet calculate the costs of the fluids if those KM were on an Automatic at regular service intervals.

Again it is all what you know and what you do. I am all for having an auto-magic tow my boats as it makes it easier on me to focus on other things. But for day to day and even gridlock it will always be stick.

To each there own, there is no right answer. Only what works for your situation. Anywho. Back on topic to the thread :) lol,

-ST

Perineum

The very fact that I can use engine compression to slow my vehicle down is a major win with a standard.

Half the traffic problems we have today are because of the automatic transmission and the way it allows people to drive.

Soullessone21

That is only if you ever need to replace that.
If you drive like an idiot or don't know how to properly engage a clutch then you will for sure. But my wife as my witness on here, I put 190K on the RX-V, 240 on the Sunfire, and 192 on the ZX2. Never once have I had to do a clutch. Yet calculate the costs of the fluids if those KM were on an Automatic at regular service intervals.

Again it is all what you know and what you do. I am all for having an auto-magic tow my boats as it makes it easier on me to focus on other things. But for day to day and even gridlock it will always be stick.

To each there own, there is no right answer. Only what works for your situation. Anywho. Back on topic to the thread :) lol,

-ST

Agree if you even know how to half drive you will never have to replace your clutch, 93 civic we put 120,000 km and the clutch was still strong when we sold it, my Paseo with a Blacktop 20valve and 6 speed I got the engine with a used clutch with 185,000km on it I pushed it another 100,000 km and never had a issue other then the fact I twisted the frame, My wifes current truck bought it with 60,000km just had a new clutch put in it at that point as the lady that owned it could barely drive, we now have 197,000km on it and it runs tops still with zero issues to bad we have to sell it to move.

It's all a matter of how you drive and ST I like Synchromesh the best :p and you will never change my mind on that haha. Synchromesh ran in my 89 Swift GTi with a 6 psi turbo and 15 shot and the tranny never gave me trouble since that point on I run it in all my Standards.

More people need to learn to drive and pay attention and not expect hand outs like a auto transmission :p