What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Whats your latest purchase?

great_big_abyss

New clutch...whaaaat? It's called rev-matching (Heel and Toe in a Ranger FTW) and is the best way to save a clutch!

Last edited:

enaberif

New clutch...whaaaat? It's called rev-matching (Heel and Toe in a Ranger FTW) and is the best way to save a clutch!

Rev matching is pointless and useless in most vehicles due to crappy oem clutches.

Heel toe does nothing to save a clutch and provides no added benefit to everyday driving at all.

great_big_abyss

Rev matching is pointless and useless in most vehicles due to crappy oem clutches.

Heel toe does nothing to save a clutch and provides no added benefit to everyday driving at all.

Are you kidding? Sure it does. By matching the speed of the engine (and the flywheel) to the speed of the wheels (and the transmission input shaft) you eliminate any difference in velocity between the clutch plates, thereby eliminating any wear. The only wear your clutch would see is when starting your vehicle from a stop.

And, crappy OEM clutches? Clutches in the past 20-30 or so years are a vast improvement over clutches of yonder years. It used to be that replacing the clutch lining material was standard maintenance, much like replacing a timing belt. These days, it's a rare occurance that a clutch has to be replaced in any vehicle that's 20 years or younger, unless the clutch has been absolutely buggared by incompetence.

For maintenance free driving, manual transmissions are the only way to go.

Personally:
I've only ever owned 2 automatic transmission vehicles over the years and one of them (97 Dodge Ram) needed the transmission serviced regularly (fluid changed, bands adjusted) and the other one (2004 Chevy Epica) just had the entire transmission replaced a month ago.

I've owned 5 manual transmission vehicles and none of them have ever needed any manual transmission or clutch work.

Perineum

I've blown transmissions apart, literally with a hole put through them from a shaft or whatever, but that's not from "normal" driving. I've never owned an automatic but I'm sure the process would be similar.

fortkentdad

Epson Artisan 837

Bought a new printer. Been watching for a better quality photo printer. Someday I may drop $600+ for a dedicated photo printer but in the mean time I will use my new Epson Artisan 837 printer. It is a bit of a compromise between a regular 'all-in-one' printer and a dedicated photo printer. It has the improved print capacity and uses the five colour plus black ink cartridges. Had read good reviews of this printer and hope it lives up to its billing. Was able to get it $100 off, paid $179.

My mini-rant is about the extended warranty. In the good old days vendors stood by their product, but the sales pitch was pay for the extended warranty ($55!! Over 30% the cost of the product) for the store warranty ~ otherwise I was told "If you have a problem, take it up with Epson" (after a whole 14 days grace!) This was at Staples. I'm banking on the adage that if an electronic product works OK for two weeks, it will work OK for a few years. And I was dealing with the store manager not a salesman.

Perineum

My mini-rant is about the extended warranty. In the good old days vendors stood by their product, but the sales pitch was pay for the extended warranty ($55!! Over 30% the cost of the product) for the store warranty ~ otherwise I was told "If you have a problem, take it up with Epson" (after a whole 14 days grace!) This was at Staples. I'm banking on the adage that if an electronic product works OK for two weeks, it will work OK for a few years. And I was dealing with the store manager not a salesman.

Most often the problems with Inkjets is clogging. Make sure to use it once a month or once every 2 weeks. Other than that they seem to be pretty bullet proof.

great_big_abyss

unlock-samsung-galaxy-tab-lte.jpg

I picked up a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 LTE last night. Alas, it's not for me, it's for the wife for Xmas.

She thinks I'm getting her a bag of Lush (smelly bath stuff) as I very loudly proclaimed that I was going into the store when we were at the mall (and I did, indeed, get her some Lush, she loves that stuff), but this is her real gift.

Latest posts

Twitter