What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Whats your latest purchase?

ipaine

I love my Qnap. So happy I moved to a dedicated NAS. I am running 6x4TB with a hot spare. Been purring away for 8 months now.

You will love it! :biggrin:

I really want to move to either a Qnap or Synology but that initial cost is really high. Mainly because I don't want to settle for anything less than 6 bay, but really prefer 8 bay. I already have 22TB in drives and want to be able to move it over. And since I want to run it as raid 6 having more bays is preferable.

turtletrax

Banned
I really want to move to either a Qnap or Synology but that initial cost is really high. Mainly because I don't want to settle for anything less than 6 bay, but really prefer 8 bay. I already have 22TB in drives and want to be able to move it over. And since I want to run it as raid 6 having more bays is preferable.

I have a TS-853 pro that I got a great price beat on at MemoryExpress, and I love it so far. I wish I could have gotten one with 10Gbe upgradeable, but that was just getting too expensive. I figure by the time I actually need that functionality, it will be cheaper and I can keep this one as off site backup, or sell it to offset the cost of the new one.

I ran windows home server for years and years, and while it was good, the qnap QTS system is on a whole 'nutha level. I have it set to text and email me on error and actually quite like the transcoding capabilites. I had a drive fail on me in Raid 5, and it picked up the hot spare and rebuilt before I even needed the system again. I just got a text warning me ;)

Only advice is to read up on how to telnet into the system and set the rebuilding and array building time to increase in speed. You can get it to go about 6 times faster by changing a few parameters.

Only downside for me atm is I am behind a double nat, so connecting to it outside my internal network is impossible. :(

ipaine

I have a TS-853 pro that I got a great price beat on at MemoryExpress, and I love it so far. I wish I could have gotten one with 10Gbe upgradeable, but that was just getting too expensive. I figure by the time I actually need that functionality, it will be cheaper and I can keep this one as off site backup, or sell it to offset the cost of the new one.

I ran windows home server for years and years, and while it was good, the qnap QTS system is on a whole 'nutha level. I have it set to text and email me on error and actually quite like the transcoding capabilites. I had a drive fail on me in Raid 5, and it picked up the hot spare and rebuilt before I even needed the system again. I just got a text warning me ;)

Only advice is to read up on how to telnet into the system and set the rebuilding and array building time to increase in speed. You can get it to go about 6 times faster by changing a few parameters.

Only downside for me atm is I am behind a double nat, so connecting to it outside my internal network is impossible. :(

I have been trying to decide between the one you got and the Synology 1815+. Both about the same price at MemEx. But with either I would have to price match. But its not just the cost of the unit, its getting enough drives to start with as well. Would love to get 6TB or better yet 8TB drives to start with.

Inik

Folding Team
I always wanted to get a 4-bay at least, but with streaming services and my available time, I just realized I don't need that much storage. My senstitive data is really not that big, so I don't really need to have big backup storage.

I plan on having 2x6TB in it and just be done with it. 12TB will be fine for a while. I have external HDD for like 6TB too.

AB10

Just installed 4 x 3TB WD Blues, 4 x Seagate DM000 4TB's and 2 x Intel 120Gb SSDs as R/W cache. The intent is to not have to upgrade storage for 24 months.

zoob

Just received my new Ubiquiti UAC-AC-PRO. Pretty excited to get home and hook it up. Now I need to figure out how to run CAT6 from my basement through to the attic.

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
Just received my new Ubiquiti UAC-AC-PRO. Pretty excited to get home and hook it up. Now I need to figure out how to run CAT6 from my basement through to the attic.
Installed the Lite version a couple weeks back. Easy setup, will never look into consumer Wifi products ever again.