What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Whats your latest purchase?

Babrbarossa

Thanks - I do wish the predator had dropped the 2.5 bay and lengthened the battery - battery life is not super, i see. Ive been watching the youtube videos since I posted and they're glowing about the value though - used to avoid acer laptops... Also just realized it may be awkward using it in public with the word "Predator" lit up on the back :p

Sagath

Staff member
yeah the Y#40 series has a 2.5 drive bay instead of the second M.2 (which is why the battery life is lower). So you have that option. Actually the only reason I haven't gotten the Y740 (darn near perfect otherwise), they need to drop the 2.5 and use a bigger battery and a second M.2 in the next gen.
The build quality on the 740 is insane too. I'd imagine next years model they might drop the second 2.5".

I'm really hoping the army sends me on tour again, because I would buy this in a heartbeat if so.

Entz

That is my hope, the cooling is fantastic, one of the best.

sswilson

Staff member
I just spent two weeks obsessively shopping all the sales on laptops and catching up on new components and finally after watching so many decent sales come and go, I ended up paying regular price for one and it's giving me anxiety! Laptops are exhausting! I probably didn't end up with the best possible deal, but I wanted a decent performing gaming laptop with a nice IPS screen and two NVMe slots for less than 1500. I have a sinking feeling, though, that I'll see this unit for $200 less on boxing week..... any thoughts? At the time of this posting, the price is $1499

Not sure if you're interested in a 17" screen, but here's a 17" Y540 w/ 256 NVMe + 1TB mechanical drive, but more importantly... it's got a 2060 and comes in at under $1400 after Rakuten.

edit: The original deal is OOS, but there are a few suggestions on how to configure it with a different code for similar specs on the 17".

Last edited:

Lpfan4ever

Seeing as I sold off my HX1000i due to Corsair being a terrible company to RMA with, I had to buy a replacement so that I can give this loaned PSU back. Sadly the sales this weekend for PSUs were thoroughly meh so I bit the bullet and bought a Seasonic Focus Plus Platinum 650W. Should be fairly silent with the loads I'd be putting on it, plus 10 year warranty is nice.

Also last week it was a Polk HTS-12 subwoofer. I know Polk gets shit on for their subs, and rightfully so, but this model is much better than their typical offerings.

Mr. Friendly

didn't the Focus have some weird glitch they suffered from?

I know the EVGA SuperNOVA G4's suck, but the G3's are stellar and my go-to as much as I can :)

Lpfan4ever

Early Focus PSUs don't play nice with 970 STRIX and VEGA 56/64 cards. Everything I see says pre-Jan 2018 build dates affected, so I hope by now those have all been pulled and replaced.

As for EVGA G3 PSUs, they're becoming OOS at a lot of places and the G5 platform is some FSP junk. Locally I could only find the 850W G3 and that's $200+. At that point I could get a muuuuch better Seasonic PRIME 850.

lowfat

Staff member
Won an eBay action for 3 x Ruckus R510 APs.

Ordered some pei and PA12 filament. Waited half a year to order, as this stuff is crazy expensive and I knew Spool3d had their cyber Monday sale for 20% filament.

lowfat

Staff member
What did those run you? And don't you need to pay for a controller too?
About $300 shipped. And nope. These APs can run their Unleashed firmware. Which doesn't need to use a Zone Director controller. Most of their APs can run Unleashed. And the ones that can't, could run in standalone mode, just no mesh capabilities.