What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Whats your latest purchase?

SugarJ

Staff member

A model rocket kit off Amazon and some wadding and 6 engines from a local hobby store. It's something I always wanted to try, and my 11 yo showed some interest when I showed him a Youtube video. Here's hoping for a sunny afternoon sometime soon.

lowfat

Staff member
A cheap RF remote, and some IR transmitters / receivers. Going to make my own version of a Harmony Hub. Already sick of this crappy LG 'magic remote'.

lowfat

Staff member
I am curious as to how you are going to do this
I know it can all be done w/ the Home Assistant and Node Red software I already use for all my home automation.

I have a Sonoff Rf Bridge that already can send and receive rf signals. This has been flashed to custom firmware to interact w/ home assistant. This is how my remote control will work.

Then I'll have an Esp8266 Arduino that will use the ir led and ir receivers. I'll use 2 ir leds, one for the tv and the other for my dac / amp. Esp8266 will run Home Assistant firmware.

The only issue is the commands will be going over wifi. Not sure what kind of latency I'll be seeing.

Shadowmeph

I know it can all be done w/ the Home Assistant and Node Red software I already use for all my home automation.

I have a Sonoff Rf Bridge that already can send and receive rf signals. This has been flashed to custom firmware to interact w/ home assistant. This is how my remote control will work.

Then I'll have an Esp8266 Arduino that will use the ir led and ir receivers. I'll use 2 ir leds, one for the tv and the other for my dac / amp. Esp8266 will run Home Assistant firmware.

The only issue is the commands will be going over wifi. Not sure what kind of latency I'll be seeing.
lol ok thats way beyond what I know hehe

Cptn Vortex

A model rocket kit off Amazon and some wadding and 6 engines from a local hobby store. It's something I always wanted to try, and my 11 yo showed some interest when I showed him a Youtube video. Here's hoping for a sunny afternoon sometime soon.
Oh man, these were my whole childhood lol. Had a big empty field in front of our property we'd launch from in the summer, and in the winter the lake froze so we'd go to the middle of the lake. Those rocket kits were fun, but eventually I started making some from plastic tubing from kid-sized hockey nets (the rocket engines fit perfect in the tube), and build my own wooden nose cones on a lathe (ya 10yr old, grandpa didnt really stop us from using the shop tools growing up). My fav was the cruise missile I made accidentally. 2 stage, first went up about 500ft, then 2nd stage activated when the rocket went horizontal... never did find that one!

Latest posts

Twitter