What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Whats your latest purchase?

Lysrin

Mr. Friendly

I bought the R1850DB and have been very pleased with them. The sound impressed me, no sub required for my PC use.
sub's aren't usually needed for nearfield speaker use. :D

I'm thinking of getting some form of miniDSP (forget the model...but the one w/o a DAC) so I can split the bass to just my sub, since I have one.

Last edited:

Izerous

Folding Team
Wonder if it works better than the average solder sucker. I've used them in the past and ended up going back to copper braid half the time.
I have a few from my time at NAIT and I kept going back to the copper braid as well. The only thing I found that worked better was the solder vacuums but the cost and hassle of cleaning one with the infrequent soldering I do makes it hard to justify one.

I'm curious how one like that will work s well. All of mine are spring loaded and don't do anything.

lowfat

Staff member
Wonder if it works better than the average solder sucker. I've used them in the past and ended up going back to copper braid half the time.
There is a silicon tube that you mush around the soldering tip, so it gets like full vacuum unlike the cheaper generic ones. I have soldering wick, I just don't like it much. It feels like too much of a hassle. :eek:

lowfat

Staff member
I've loved the look of the Drop Alts since they introduced them. They are dang pricey though! I had no idea you could get one from Amazon.

Love to know what you think of it when you get it @lowfat

I did replace all Cherry blue 'rgb' switches w/ the Novel Key Sherbets I bought a few weeks ago. I also installed o-rings on all the key cap stems.

But I love the keyboard. The aluminum frame does give the keys a different sound. A higher pitch click, maybe because of less resonance?

Customizing the keyboard via the Drop Web UI is pretty slick. It uses the standard 'QMK' firmare that most enthusiast boards use. Easily can customize any key easily. And can even add your own RGB patterns. Although it doesn't seem you can add your own animated patterns as far as i can tell.

Is it worth $300? Probably not for most people. But it should hopefully last me 10 years like the Filco did. And this makes replacing switches I've spilled beer/Rockstar on, so much easier. :eek:

Lysrin

I did replace all Cherry blue 'rgb' switches w/ the Novel Key Sherbets I bought a few weeks ago. I also installed o-rings on all the key cap stems.

But I love the keyboard. The aluminum frame does give the keys a different sound. A higher pitch click, maybe because of less resonance?

Customizing the keyboard via the Drop Web UI is pretty slick. It uses the standard 'QMK' firmare that most enthusiast boards use. Easily can customize any key easily. And can even add your own RGB patterns. Although it doesn't seem you can add your own animated patterns as far as i can tell.

Is it worth $300? Probably not for most people. But it should hopefully last me 10 years like the Filco did. And this makes replacing switches I've spilled beer/Rockstar on, so much easier. :eek:
Sounds cool! I'm glad to hear you're pleased with it... (I shall resist...) ;)

Izerous

Folding Team
The o-rings mod for these cherry switches how does it effect typing feel or is it more to tone down the noise a bit. For example I like red switches and it's almost inaudible unless I bottom them out.

lowfat

Staff member
The o-rings mod for these cherry switches how does it effect typing feel or is it more to tone down the noise a bit. For example I like red switches and it's almost inaudible unless I bottom them out.
They are just to prevent it from bottoming out.

FreeKnight

I've actually been considering giving orings a try on my kinesis gaming keyboard. Since switching from my corsair with MX reds, to browns I've noticed I'm bottoming out a little more (although I'm making less typos due to not activating keys when trying to type quietly).

Reds or browns are definitely my preference so far. I don't mind blacks but can't handle the clickyness of blues.

lowfat

Staff member
IMO any switch bottoming out is louder than the click of a blue. And if you think blues are loud, you should here the NK Sherbets I'm using. They are at least twice as loud and they click both going down and coming back up. :D