What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Whats your latest purchase?

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Adding to my dumb purchases will be the UDM Pro as well :rolleyes:

With the nail in the coffin for UniFi Video set for January, the CloudKey G2 Plus being $265, figured I might as well go for the whole shebang. The UXG Pro price is just absurd, less RAM than the UDM, less ports, yet costs more. Might just start with using the UDM only for Protect (NVR) until the routing side matures some more, but we'll see. I know I won't be able to get Bell TV working through it until they allow IGMP Proxy and more advanced configuration, but I'll probably virtualize pfSense for that.
There sure is a LOT of angst towards UI on the UDM Pro from what I see on their forums. Kinda glad I didnt adopt one now.

I really feel their market segmentation is way too large. They're losing focus and its showing in the quality of hardware and software on their latest stuff. I wont early adopt their products any more.

JD

Staff member
I agree, but here I am too, still buying their wares (and you too 🤣) . If it doesn't pan out, oh well, stupid me. I think, or hope, most of the issues are because they're building this UniFi OS as their new platform, and well building a new OS (even if it's just a fork of Linux) isn't easy.

I think most of us original Ubiquiti adopters just need to realize they are going a far more "Apple" like approach with their hardware/software now, over simplified with a single way of doing things. EdgeMAX is looking like a dead horse too, with that new UNMS Switch in EA as well, removing all CLI support and only configured via UNMS (also huge uproar on the forums for that, very suspicious replies when asked about EdgeMAX's future too).

It looks to me that they are trying to move out of the SMB/Enterprise space and into the "start up" space or whatever you want to call it. Small Business owners that maybe are younger and have some technical knowledge, who can plug in some cables and use an app on their phone to setup their business's network.

Entz

With the nail in the coffin for UniFi Video set for January, the CloudKey G2 Plus being $265, figured I might as well go for the whole shebang. The UXG Pro price is just absurd, less RAM than the UDM, less ports, yet costs more. Might just start with using the UDM only for Protect (NVR) until the routing side matures some more, but we'll see. I know I won't be able to get Bell TV working through it until they allow IGMP Proxy and more advanced configuration, but I'll probably virtualize pfSense for that.
Yeah the UXG Pro is dead to me. I just can't justify that amount. I still haven't decided If I am going with a UDM Pro , pfSense or just stick with what I have. I really want to love the UDM Pro but ugh, they really do need to stop throwing things at the wall and spend a few months fixing stuff.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
I agree, but here I am too, still buying their wares (and you too 🤣) .
I know, right? I guess thats part of the problem of getting sucked in to an 'ecosystem'.

I still like their products, overall. I'm just more cautious after the UDM & UDM Pro problems. Maybe its just growing pains.

lowfat

Staff member
I know, right? I guess thats part of the problem of getting sucked in to an 'ecosystem'.

I still like their products, overall. I'm just more cautious after the UDM & UDM Pro problems. Maybe its just growing pains.
You'll find other issues / dropped features from their other 'beta' products if you do some googling.

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie

Still waiting for the UXG non-pro here.
UDM had a large firmware update (1.8.0) yesterday.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Still waiting for the UXG non-pro here.
UDM had a large firmware update (1.8.0) yesterday.
"Testing" Firmware. Last stable is still the 'release' 1.5.6. :rolleyes: I use 'release' very liberally.

Edit: Apparently I stand corrected. 1.7.2 came out at some point, and I wasnt notified. Strange!

Double Edit: Nope. 1.5.6 is the web release stable. 1.7.2 is UDMP stable, but UDM beta.

Last edited:

JD

Staff member
"Testing" Firmware. Last stable is still the 'release' 1.5.6. :rolleyes: I use 'release' very liberally.
I've always run beta's with pretty high success rate. I've only ever had to rollback on the EdgeSwitch side that I can think of, and both those times ultimately came down to modifying my configuration to work with the newer release/changes. Ubiquiti has very sporadic "production releases" of firmware that it doesn't really make sense to hold out for them.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
I've always run beta's with pretty high success rate. I've only ever had to rollback on the EdgeSwitch side that I can think of, and both those times ultimately came down to modifying my configuration to work with the newer release/changes. Ubiquiti has very sporadic "production releases" of firmware that it doesn't really make sense to hold out for them.
The issue with UI is that most of the reason you have to run the beta is because you need a fix for something. Everyone lines up to try the beta in the hopes it resolves the one issue they have...The UDM line is notorious for this, and has been since EA. The 'release' 1.5.6 is riddled with bugs on the base UDM, and nearly unusable on the Pro from what I gather. The 1.7.3 RC was a dogs breakfast according to their forums, so much so they locked the thread and pulled it. The feedback on 1.8 seems slightly better since they pushed the SFP fix. I really feel bad for the pro owners going on 8? months now with broken hardware...

That being said, I've had great success on the RC 4.3 branch for my nanoHD (except for one which I was having massive AP retries). My UDM base is still on 1.5.6 and works fine but theres bugs I would like fixed, but I can ignore/work around for now (Now being 6 months and counting)

The fact UI have 3 branches (Stable, RC, & beta) that they are all actively maintaining is strange. Seems like a lot of overhead for minimal (no?) gain.

Prickly007

The 'release' 1.5.6 is riddled with bugs on the base UDM...
But is it an improvement on 1.5.0.1974? I haven't upgraded my firmware since I got my UDM, on the principle if it ain't broke.... I seem to recall AKG saying this approach was a good idea with MB/GPU BIOSes. Is network equipment, as JD implies, a different case?