What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Whats your latest purchase?

Lysrin

@Lysrin the edging could likely be replicated via a serger if you ever find yourself in that situation again. Not as common as a sewing machine but not exactly rare just more specialized usage. A serger is likely even what they are using to make the edging in the first place on these cloth mats.

Thanks. Most of the mats have stitched edges now. But yes, that would have been good if I had to cut a stitched one and then fix it up again. Back when I bought my original they were a pretty new idea so cloth top layer was just stuck on. It's been a great work surface but I'll be happy to have the new one! Current one is getting pretty worn to say the least.

sswilson

Staff member
Winter tires (again). Went with Blizzack WS90s from Costco.

$895 installed and I'll get a $100 Costco card in the mail so it ends up being awfully close to $200 / tire all-in after taxes and installation.

Skippman

Bought a DeWalt cordless jigsaw for some tombstones I'm making for Halloween. Paid $200 USD. Then went I went to the other hardware store for parts saw the same jigsaw as part of a kit with a ocelating tool, multiorbit sander, 4ah battery, and charger for $300 USD. So, took the stand alone jigsaw back, because duah. Added it to my DeWalt pile.

Lysrin

Winter tires (again). Went with Blizzack WS90s from Costco.

$895 installed and I'll get a $100 Costco card in the mail so it ends up being awfully close to $200 / tire all-in after taxes and installation.

I've been happy with several sets of Blizzacks now.

Entz

Yes they are amazing studless winter tires. The WS80s had horrible treadlife for me, so it will be interesting to see the long term tests on the WS90s. I went a different route last time but may switch back on the next set.

FreeKnight

I've had Blizzaks, X-ice and Hakkapelita and the difference hasn't been drastic between them, but I did notice the Blizzaks seemed to have had a much worse performance drop off in their last season or two compared to the x-ice. They performed a little better in slush, a little worse on ice.
Have the Hakkapelita's on a very different vehicle so it's hard to make an apples to apples comparison. Will probably go back to X-ice for the next set.

sswilson

Staff member
Yes they are amazing studless winter tires. The WS80s had horrible treadlife for me, so it will be interesting to see the long term tests on the WS90s. I went a different route last time but may switch back on the next set.

Yeah, no long term testing yet, but if the press releases are to be believed the new rubber formulation is supposed to offer an extra winter out of them.

Just had a quick look and I ordered my last set Oct 2015 so I got 5 winters out of them, and a couple of my old set (WS80s) actually have more than enough tread left on them to make them worthwhile keeping on the off chance I need a spare. I don't put a ton of mileage on my vehicle(s) but 5 years is about what I'd expect so I've got no complaints.

Entz

Yeah I had Blizzacks on my GTI which to be fair was hard on front tires even with its LSD. They were at their "special" winter compound bars after 2 seasons.

I have Hakkapelita R3 on my CX-5 and they have been great so far. Though if we keep having crap loads of ice like last year i think studs may be in order lol.

Izerous

Folding Team
I got 10 years out of the set of cheap nordics but the last year or two was worse. However I still had lots of tread depth which was fine in the snow but their ice performance was clearly getting worst. I just don't put huge miles on either vehicle. 2004 Outlander (second owner) has like 165k, and the 2012 Frontier I just changed the oil yesterday at exactly 66,500 so it's summer and winter tires will also likely get 10 years each just due to the low milage and being split two ways since that is essentially 33k for each set of tires.It doesn't hurt that my shorter half's new position is walking distance from the house. So the truck likely will continue to see very little milage for the next little while.

both of them right now are running Yokohama IceGaurd tires. The truck because that was their package when we bought it, and the Outlander because that was the best deal I could snag without going cheap chinese tire brands.

Mr. Friendly

I need to buy a good convection oven for our kitchen-not-kitchen now. anyone have suggestions on make / models to consider? we'd like a larger one, so we can fit a big chicken or ham into it.