What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Whats your latest purchase?

great_big_abyss

I think I FINALLY found a video card. I'm picking up a GTX1080 STRIX off Kijiji for $650.

It's a little more than I wanted to spend, but it's also less than I sold the Gigabyte GTX1080 in the spring, and the STRIX is a better card, so I think I"m coming out ahead?

Decent deal? Some prices out there are still absolutely nutso (like a 1650 for $400=$500), so when I found this one listed at $700, I jumped on it and offered $650 which was accepted. I would have been happy to pay the $400 for the 1070 that was in the BST a couple days ago, but I think that one was artificially cheap by today's standards.

Lysrin

I think I FINALLY found a video card. I'm picking up a GTX1080 STRIX off Kijiji for $650.

It's a little more than I wanted to spend, but it's also less than I sold the Gigabyte GTX1080 in the spring, and the STRIX is a better card, so I think I"m coming out ahead?

Decent deal? Some prices out there are still absolutely nutso (like a 1650 for $400=$500), so when I found this one listed at $700, I jumped on it and offered $650 which was accepted. I would have been happy to pay the $400 for the 1070 that was in the BST a couple days ago, but I think that one was artificially cheap by today's standards.
I'm confused. You sold a 1080 and then bought a 1080?

great_big_abyss

I was freeing up some money for summer cycling season. Bought my spouse a mountain bike so she could come riding with me. Now winter/gaming season is upon us, so I need a replacement. GTX1080 is as high as my budget will stretch, with most newer/better performing cards being well over $1k.

Lowfat, didn't mean to dishonour you like that. It just so happened that video card prices took a massive jump right after I bought your card, and I wasn't going to be gaming at all throughout the summer. I was able to use my 3770K's IGP for daily driving duties.
If it helps, I felt really dirty for selling it at such a high price. But the Gigabyte took me through all of RDR2, a bunch of CIV6, and some PCVR. so I got some good use out of it over the winter.

JD

Staff member
Not the most exciting, but 2 packs of the ThermalTake ToughFan 14's since it felt cheaper to get 4 and have a spare. The 2 packs are $65 vs single fan at $47. I know, I know, TT stole Noctua's design, but Noctua hasn't released the 140mm version yet, so what can you do!

Kind of miss the RGB in the front of my case now, but these seem to work a whole lot better. I could barely feel a draft through my radiator before with the Alphacool fans I had, now I feel a breeze. Noise profile sounds more pleasing to my ears, hopefully I can adjust my PWM curve down a bit more now.

Hopefully this brings down my temperatures as well, Far Cry 6 seems really taxing on the CPU and it's been hitting 85C routinely.

PXL_20211029_195126167 - Copy.jpg

Update: CPU temps down about 5C, didn't surpass 80C tonight. Motherboard/NVMe looks to be down about 10-15C as I think they really needed some airflow over them.

Last edited:

Lysrin

Not the most exciting, but 2 packs of the ThermalTake ToughFan 14's since it felt cheaper to get 4 and have a spare. The 2 packs are $65 vs single fan at $47. I know, I know, TT stole Noctua's design, but Noctua hasn't released the 140mm version yet, so what can you do!

Kind of miss the RGB in the front of my case now, but these seem to work a whole lot better. I could barely feel a draft through my radiator before with the Alphacool fans I had, now I feel a breeze. Noise profile sounds more pleasing to my ears, hopefully I can adjust my PWM curve down a bit more now.

Hopefully this brings down my temperatures as well, Far Cry 6 seems really taxing on the CPU and it's been hitting 85C routinely.

View attachment 32778
Nice photo too by the way!

sswilson

Staff member
Cool. I saw some press on those being released but it's good to know first hand that they're decent performers. Hopefully the 120mm offerings will be similar.

As far as purchases go..... Bit the bullet and bought an AMD branded 6800 XT when I had a chance to grab one at a reasonable price. (And no... I'm not going to say how much, but it was enough that I had to put it past she-who-must-be-obeyed before I did the dirty deed :) ).

That's going to displace the 3060 in my gaming rig which will move over to my main rig and the evoke will end up on that little open air case I printed along with a G3258 H81 board I grabbed off of ebay and a 650W Corsair PSU I grabbed off of amazon.