What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Whats your latest purchase?

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
After buying an Apple TV 4K and hating it, being disappointing in the aging Shield platform that also has limited HDR support, and then reading tons of reviews saying that Roku Ultra is not Dolby compatible and this causes some problems when displaying blacks for Dolby content on the LG OLED displays in particular... I've been pretty frustrated trying to come up with a media solution for my TV. I didn't want to go back to an HTPC as my wife really didn't like that as an option. I'm almost to the point of returning the TV and switching to a standard LED screen and going with Roku.

But I have one option left in the bag... I'm buying an XBOX One X while they're on sale for $469 at Walmart. This was something I was thinking about buying anyway since I have Microsoft Game Pass Ultimate for 3 years. I never really considered it as a media solution before, but it gets great reviews. So we'll see...

I also bought a remote to go with it, which should go a long way towards making my wife happy.
and on the off chance...what about running a Raspberry Pi 4?

JD

Staff member
After buying an Apple TV 4K and hating it, being disappointing in the aging Shield platform that also has limited HDR support, and then reading tons of reviews saying that Roku Ultra is not Dolby compatible and this causes some problems when displaying blacks for Dolby content on the LG OLED displays in particular... I've been pretty frustrated trying to come up with a media solution for my TV. I didn't want to go back to an HTPC as my wife really didn't like that as an option. I'm almost to the point of returning the TV and switching to a standard LED screen and going with Roku.
Well there's the new Fire TV Cube too, but it doesn't have DV support out of the gate (coming soon). Shield is being refreshed for the holiday season likely and comes with DV support too now. It was leaked last week on Amazon.

So up to you if the XBOX is worthwhile to keep or not... might be best to hold out a little bit longer.

Prickly007

I never really considered it as a media solution before, but it gets great reviews. So we'll see...

I also bought a remote to go with it, which should go a long way towards making my wife happy.

The primary reason I bought a Xbox One S was to be a Plex client; NHL series was the other main reason. When paired with the Xbox remote, it's fabulous. Far better than our Roku, whose interface isn't as slick.

As I recall, the Xbox One X is not much of an upgrade. If you are serious about console gaming, might make sense to wait for the next gen and pickup a Xbox One S in the interim.

Caldezar

Just had a look and that Shield TV Pro looks pretty good. However, an XBOX was something I was already considering for console gaming on the big TV anyway, so it's not too hard a pill to swallow. However, if the XBOX fails as a decent option, I'll definitely loop back to it.

supaflyx3

The Xbox is a very poor Plex client if that's what you use for media consumption. The shield is pretty much the only good Plex client these days

Caldezar

The Xbox is a very poor Plex client if that's what you use for media consumption. The shield is pretty much the only good Plex client these days

I actually don't mind the Roku Plex client, but we'll see how the XBOX does. I do use Plex for some of my media consumption, but I also utilize Netflix, Prime, NHL app, soon to be Disney+ and possibly Hulu if it's ever in Canada.

gingerbee

:LOL: Adata SSD to replace a failed Kingston SSD. I guess the jokes on me eh like I could send the adata (if it failed) back to china for RMA eh:ROFLMAO:banana

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
:LOL: Adata SSD to replace a failed Kingston SSD. I guess the jokes on me eh like I could send the adata (if it failed) back to china for RMA eh:ROFLMAO:banana
did you try RMA'ing with Kingston? they're pretty good about stuff like that. the support we get from Kingston is why they're my go-to brand for SSD's in most cases, especially now that they have official enterprise selections.

Latest posts