What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Whats your latest purchase?

FreeKnight

Well I caved and became part of the problem. MemEx had some of the FTW3 cards for $1800. A Strix would have been my preferred card, but it's obviously not worth an extra 700-800 bucks. I've only been using quick miner a few months, but between what I've mined and can sell my 2080Ti for I should basically break even. A part of me hates that I've become part of the problem, allowing Nvidia to charge these bonkers prices. Even with the LHR nicehash says it'll be more profitable.

Card is fucking massive. I've got it in the O11 Mini right now, but when mainframe has crimpers back in stock I'm going to make some custom psu cables and try to get this thing stuffed into my Ncase :O

lowfat

Staff member
Another furnace. Was an idiot last time and didn't realize how small a 4KG crucible is. Will be ok to remelt ingots. But to melt down a couple thousand cans would seriously take me weeks standing over it and feeding cans in to it. So I bought the biggest, bestest melting furnace they sell. FB2M. 10KG max crucible. And better insulation.
bcl1wDG.jpg

Also bought another big shelf. This time from Princess Auto. Was hoping it was going to be the same manufacturer as Husky (Edsal) but it definitely isn't. It isn't near as nice to assemble.
20210903_164739 (Large).jpg

FreeKnight

Another furnace. Was an idiot last time and didn't realize how small a 4KG crucible is. Will be ok to remelt ingots. But to melt down a couple thousand cans would seriously take me weeks standing over it and feeding cans in to it. So I bought the biggest, bestest melting furnace they sell. FB2M. 10KG max crucible. And better insulation.
bcl1wDG.jpg
What are you casting? I've done a bit myself, aluminum and silver.

A slightly funny story; I used to volunteer as a blacksmith at Fort Edmonton Park when I was doing my first Archaeology degree. They had an old cup style crucible at the Fort. It was cast iron I think, but it was in pretty rough shape. I decided to try silver casting with it so used my forge to heat up the crucible with enough silver to make a ring. Well it was in bad enough shape and the coal forge was so hot that the bottom melted out and my silver melted and coated part of the forge with silver...

Got a proper graphite crucible for the next try.

clshades

bcl1wDG.jpg

Also bought another big shelf. This time from Princess Auto. Was hoping it was going to be the same manufacturer as Husky (Edsal) but it definitely isn't. It isn't near as nice to assemble.
How do you get the molten metal out of it? I only ask because I probably have 10-20 pounds of silver cutlery that's been given to me and my wife over the years.

Last edited:

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
How do you get the molten metal out of it? I only ask because I probably have 10-20 pounds of silver cutlery that's been given to me and my wife over the years.

Id guess either a hole in the bottom that lets the liquid out automagically, or you have to pour it out?

FreeKnight

Every one I've ever used has been a pour method. Aluminum's one of the easiest to start with. The melting point is fairly low (at least for actual aluminum, aluminum oxide is higher, but that's a whole other concern) but it's cheapand has decent flow when casting. Tin and zinc are supposed to be good starters too, but I've never done zinc myself.

I've considered getting back into it a few times, but I've always got too much on the go as-is

Latest posts