What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Whats your latest purchase?

gingerbee

that's the root I would go if I wanted to get back into racing drones and I have been eying several of them over the last year cause I regret getting rid of all my tiny ones ( which wasn't many )

I loved flying them around my house and there really fun cause you can set up a basic race course really easy so it's a plus and if you have some buddies or family that want to get into it you'll can really make Sunday afternoons pretty fun, the other problem I had was no flying club close to me. IE I had no one to fly with and the micro doesn't do the greatest outside I mean on a calm day and if you have a powerful one you can do it but I found indoors was the best for a tiny whoop.

Radio does really matter I started with a crap one and once I had bought a FRsky Taranis I realized how bad I was flying before because of my radio, the downside to this is it can get pretty pricey fast, but my favorite combo was a FRsky Taranis with a frsky XM+ receiver great range and I love the feel of the Taranis some people think they too bulky in that case the x9 lite Taranis is better suit and the XM+ is very small I have put them on tiny whoop's in the past

Soultribunal

Staff member
it's not expensive any more. it can be if you want it to be, but I just watched a video put up by Flite Test where they made an 8ft A-10 warthog with MASSIVE EDF motors for about $200 USD. that was in 2018...so probably can add another $100 to that now. it was made out of Dollar Store foam board!

Mine was not quite 20lbs of thrust:

$1439 USD for just the engine. Nothing else. Couple that with a full fuel management system and all the other controls. It gets EXPENSIVE.

-ST

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
the whoop I was recommended to look at and buy was the
Mine was not quite 20lbs of thrust:

$1439 USD for just the engine. Nothing else. Couple that with a full fuel management system and all the other controls. It gets EXPENSIVE.

-ST
oh yeah, gas stuff is insanely expensive, especially the jet turbines. electric, not so much...it can, if you want, but you can get started with very basic training options for under $100 USD. check out www.flitetest.com. discovering them is what's got me all fired up!

that A-10 was an EDF, or electric ducted fan, which lets you get the jet look / feel and in some ways, sound.

you can get a significantly smaller EDF version that is PNP (plug and play) for $300 USD where you use y our pre-existing transmitter and supply the recommended battery. transmitters start at $50 and can be in the high thousands if you want, but all you need to worry about is ensuring the transmitter supports the protocols the planes installed receiver does.

Izerous

Folding Team
UDM-PRO
NanoHD
UAP-AC-LR

In my hunt for hardware that supports DHCP Snooping I ended up with a deal on a Dream Machine Pro that I couldn't pass up and grabbed some access points because well might as well make use of it.

With 2x50ft cables and the injector I ran around the house with random placement of the NanoHD and was seriously impressed with what that can do by itself. Placing it in the NW corner of the house I can go to the opposite corner of the house go outside, then to the opposite side of the detached garage and stand in the alley and still get a signal through all those walls. It is a -81dB 5Ghz signal but still a signal. Means placing the LR in the SE corner of the house will easily cover that area with a stronger signal.

I see myself being up in the attic Sunday running a bunch of wire to support these things this weekend. Run some extras while I'm at it so i can leverage the security camera support in the future without having to do the work all over again.

One thing I'm not sure about is with an SPF+ adapter it seems like I could take the Telus fibre connection I have right now and run it directly to the UDM-PRO and bypass their device completely. Not sure if that is worthwhile when it is already in bridge mode with the wifi antennas shut off.

AS per the picture made use of some light fixtures to help estimate placement as I wondered around with wifiman testing signal readings.

Attachments

• signal-2021-09-16-185516.jpg
    signal-2021-09-16-185516.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Yeah, that's a killer deal. :)

$1800 sounds more like (sale price) market value for 16GB + a 512GB NVMe. Upping that to 32GB / 2TB is probably $400 - $500 value minimum.
Also took the 3060 to a 3070, and arr gee bee keyboard 😳

The Spec price on their website is $3200...

Latest posts