What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Where to assemble a computer?

Wein13

I'm just about to order the parts for my computer, but first I need to know what kind of floor assembly should be done on. My apartment has nothing but carpeted floors, is it okay to assemble it there, or should I assemble it at my parent's house, with hardwood floors?

Also, are there any other steps to take to prevent frying components?

Dashock

I have assembled computers on carpets all the time i just usually touch the end of the power supply before i begin i dont know works for me have not had a component fry on me yet so cant reallly say.

yycraven

Do you not have a table to work on, and when you are about to start make sure you discharge any static you might have by touching the case with out any components in it. Then start the build.

RCKage

As Dash said..just ground yourself and you should be fine. If you are still worried about it....does your bathroom have carpet too? If so......what about your bathtub? K even I dont know if im kidding on that one...anyways......i was worried about it at first too but ive since built two systems on a carpeted floor and havent had an issue myself. Just dont go shuffling around in your socks :bleh:

JD

Staff member
Just dont go shuffling around in your socks :bleh:
Or take your socks off :bleh:

If you really want to be paranoid, you can get one of those anti-static wrist straps so that you're always grounded to the case.

Jack Rabbit

Working on a carpeted floor should be fine so long as it has a low pile. Consumer computer components are just not that sensitive to static so do not worry about it too much. You would probably do more damage if you get greasy fingers on card edge connectors or the CPU lands. If you are really paranoid you can search this forum for "static mat" or "static strap" and you will find some good discussions on using them to help prevent static problems.

Frankly, you will probably be more comfortable working at a table.

Wein13

All right, I guess I should be all right then. I have a wooden dining room table, I just wasn't sure if the carpeted floor would pose a problem. I'll just make sure I touch the case before I start, and don't shuffle about in my socks. Got it.

RCKage

Oh and one more thing. Remember my personal golden rule. When doing work....keep the spouse or significant other away. Their insatiable curiousity and desire to help can lead to catastrophic results :doh:

jay51

Oh and one more thing. Remember my personal golden rule. When doing work....keep the spouse or significant other away. Their insatiable curiousity and desire to help can lead to catastrophic results :doh:
:rofl: that's so true,i follow same rule,including most friends :biggrin:

Twitter