What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Where to assemble a computer?

bojangles

If you really want to, you can touch the case everytime you handle parts.
That's exactly what I do. I always touch the case usually every 2-3 parts just in case I was rubbing my feet against the carpet or move around on my couch. Remember, as long as you're at the same potential as your case, you won't damage any of the components. Even still, the potential between the case and ground are very minimal.

cwestwell

Kitchen table all the way. you can even use your cereal bowls to hold all your little screws and pieces while you assemble.

sswilson

Staff member
That's exactly what I do. I always touch the case usually every 2-3 parts just in case I was rubbing my feet against the carpet or move around on my couch. Remember, as long as you're at the same potential as your case, you won't damage any of the components. Even still, the potential between the case and ground are very minimal.
Yep, that's definately the way to do it.

25+ years of working with explosives cartridges / squibs kinda puts that into a person's brain. :)

cwestwell

I have used a fancy dining room table before and I laid out a towel underneath the PC so I didn't scratch it or the table. Once again though you have to ensure to de static as much as possible (but this is the case whenever you work on your PC) I do find it a little easier to work on computers if your standing up...its a little less killer on that back and you have a good vantage point down into the case without curling over it on the floor and blocking your light. Either way the location for assembly is entirely up to choice as long as your safe. I assembled my first PC on my bed like a bunch of expensive lego.

Twitter