What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Where to buy a notebook in Quebec/Montreal

soulbadguy

Hi,
In the market for a new laptops for my sis.I am usually more of desktop guy and buy pretty much all my stuff from NCIX.com.

1 - Where is the best place to buy a notebook directly (from hp.ca,dell.ca sonystyle.ca et...), from retailler (staple,futureshop,bestbuy) ? any other sources ?

2 - About brands , i heard that HPs have fleaky touchpad , dell somewhat not very reliable and apple too expensive. I like the design of the sony viaos (and the price a re good too) but people seems to dislike the reliability.The most praised brand seems to be asus , but a a freind of mind did have some bad experience with one of their laptop so i am a bit sceptical... What do you guys thinks ?

3 - I am looking for 15 incher , Core i-5, 1000$ (tx included) reliability is my upper more concern , anyone aware of a good deal going on right now ?

4 - is NCIX.com - Buy Samsung NP-R580E Intel Core i5 430M 4GB 500GB 15.6IN HD GeForce GT330M Windows 7 Premium Notebook - NP-R580-JS02CA In Canada.a good deal ?

thanks

Last edited:

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
Usually I try out the notebooks in-store and then buy online from Dell. I can't recommend Dell anymore but I would say go to Lenovo.ca. They have some excellent prices and extremely high quality.

Stix26

Usually I try out the notebooks in-store and then buy online from Dell. I can't recommend Dell anymore but I would say go to Lenovo.ca. They have some excellent prices and extremely high quality.
I totally agree, but make sure you look at the ThinkPad T series. The non-ThinkPads offered by Lenovo are pretty much equivalent to any other consumer targeted notebook, the ThinkPads however are a different story. However, if you plan to game, or need a great screen then you will want to pass on a ThinkPad. In that case check out a Dell Studio XPS, or an Asus.

Basically - If you don't game, and are looking for an extremely durable, well built workhorse, then get a ThinkPad :punk:

martin_metal_88

Lenovo.ca or go to your local store like Microbytes or any other storein your area and shop for Asus laptop. Some are pretty decent in price and will give you around 1000$ with tax. Also ask the guy if buying a warranty extension add the time to your warranty. I know by using them that at Microbytes if you get a laptop with 2 years warranty and you buy a 2 years warranty it's now 4 years. Pretty decent IMO.

Dar_ell

This is probably just my bad luck but i hate HP with a burning passion. My family owned 2 laptops for perhaps 3-4 years, they both had a 3 year warranty. I'd say they broke down about maybe 8-10 times each? I'm not exaggerating at all, you can check google i found hundreds of threads of the same thing. The laptops were the dv6000 version so maybe perhaps they fixed the problem by now. The problems consisted mainly the wireless adapter would just stop working and the only way to fix it was to send it back. After a while the whole laptop just started cracking (cheap plastic ...). Anyways enough of my rant, I really like Asus laptops. I haven't owned one myself, but a lot of my friends have them and they never came into a problem.

technix

Banned
What's so great about Thinkpads? The older ones, well, some of them, were the solid ones by IBM. But, now? They're Lenovo and the same as others. They're also made in China. I'm not sure what sets them apart. There maybe some good hardware construction in parts but to maintain their rep based on name only?

Also, Asus, MSI, Toshiba and Samsung would be just as good or better. I understand Dell has dropped in quality and the downfall is just as much as rep as the actual poor QC. I've read a number of 'my Dell broke' or whatever but remember, that company has way too many different lines. Business and consumer but the mainstream lines are all over the place. Inspirion, Vostro, XPS....etc. Which is what? The business line is Precision and Latitude and I really don't know if their QC is still any good but they're very expensive.

If I was shopping for a laptop, I'd consider Asus, MSI, Samsung, Toshiba and maybe, JUST MAYBE....Sony.

HP I'd pass on although their Probook series makes me take a second look. But, there's nothing that jumps out at you that makes you think it's unique. Lenovo laptops seem like decent quality but I'm not sure the quality is the same or consistent. I'm not sure because they also have different lines now. Ideapads, SL series (look like junk), T-series, W-series... ????? I guess the T-series and W-series should be considered but not sure how they compare to the Asus, MSI, Samsung and Sony I just mentioned.

The problem is consumer laptops are marketed to the kiddies/teens/students that just want them for gaming and Multimedia use. However, there's a lot of things to consider such as resolutions, features, mobile GPU, screen quality, hardware quality and what you need it for. Prices seem inflated for a lot of laptops considering what you get. Also, prices in Canada blows. :biggrin:

martin_metal_88

Drop sony from the list right now. They are WORST then ACER like 10 000 time. For the rest, my main concern is about MSI. Good laptop for sure but the warranty? is it like MB and GPU or can we get any kind of help frmo them?? Lenovo are still good laptop because they are not mainstream. They are mostly office laptop so they are made out of less tinner plastic with less useless fonction to be much solid.

Mena

Just like to throw this in.....HP Lappies do not have flaky touchpads. Have had nothing but HP for a while now and not one problem with them.

Zero82z

Banned
What's so great about Thinkpads? The older ones, well, some of them, were the solid ones by IBM. But, now? They're Lenovo and the same as others. They're also made in China. I'm not sure what sets them apart. There maybe some good hardware construction in parts but to maintain their rep based on name only?
Thinkpads are still the best-built and most reliable notebooks you can get, aside from crazy Toughbook-style products.

Latest posts