What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Where to buy audio wire/cables (for Klipsch 4.1)?

Prickly007

After fiddling with all the cables, over the past few days, I came to the conclusion that the real issue was the (cables that led into the) control pod- a known issue. As the speakers were bought in 2000 or 2001, rather than repair them again, I started researching speakers.... Good god, what a rabbit hole!! :shok:

However, changing Foobar to use WASAPI all but eliminated the distortion; after a little more research, it looks like the issue was actually being caused by the motherboard. Took all of ten seconds to fix. :doh:

Bond007

After fiddling with all the cables, over the past few days, I came to the conclusion that the real issue was the (cables that led into the) control pod- a known issue. As the speakers were bought in 2000 or 2001, rather than repair them again, I started researching speakers.... Good god, what a rabbit hole!! :shok:

However, changing Foobar to use WASAPI all but eliminated the distortion; after a little more research, it looks like the issue was actually being caused by the motherboard. Took all of ten seconds to fix. :doh:

Good news. Now the question is...are they good enough, or are you going to upgrade?

Prickly007

Now the question is...are they good enough, or are you going to upgrade?

At some point, I'll have to upgrade (as the control pod cables are temperamental, etc). But to what is a bloody good question: active vs passive, 2.0 vs 2.1 vs 5.1, brand, etc, etc, etc. I still have not done enough research to even create a new thread.

Budget is an open question; presumably I'll be buying something that would last decades, so $$$ at a minimum.

Bond007

At some point, I'll have to upgrade (as the control pod cables are temperamental, etc). But to what is a bloody good question: active vs passive, 2.0 vs 2.1 vs 5.1, brand, etc, etc, etc. I still have not done enough research to even create a new thread.

Budget is an open question; presumably I'll be buying something that would last decades, so $$$ at a minimum.

The 2.0, 2.1, 5.1 question and the budget are the big ones....then come the suggestions.

enaberif

2.0 is fine. Most people don't have the room for a proper 5.1 setup and imaging has come a long ways.

Personally for gaming.. headsets simply are the best route for sound imaging.

I have a pair of Micca powered by a small amp and its good for music/video but not for gaming.

Prickly007

The 2.0, 2.1, 5.1 question and the budget are the big ones....then come the suggestions.

Hmmmmm, I thought the big decision would be active vs passive.

Initial thinking was either a 2.1 or a 2.0 (with sub out). Budget will likely never be very well defined, beyond something not totally bonkers. Chief concern will be getting a good, if not excellent, piece of kit; my current speakers have, after all, outlasted four, maybe five, monitors.

Most people don't have the room for a proper 5.1 setup....

I've got the room, just not sure there is any point to a 5.1 setup as 1) I don't ever watch movies on my computer and 2) I don't really play multi-player games any more, plus audio positioning seems to have largely died off anyway.

One of the main reasons I bought my 4.1 Klipschs was for gaming, namely Medal of Honour.

Personally for gaming.. headsets simply are the best route for sound imaging.

I can say with absolute certainty I won't be buying a headset. Main usage is music, and then gaming.

Bond007

As a starting point, you could look into audioengine a5+ (if the size works for you), or a2+ if you need smaller. Or if you want a bit cheaper, I have been impressed with bang for buck of most edifier speakers r1700/1850/2000 come to mind). TONS of options out there, but they should be all decent starting to look points of comparison.

Izerous

Folding Team

Latest posts

Twitter