What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Where to buy [enter component here]?

lowfat

Staff member
Anyone aware of a store that I can buy 2020 aluminum extrusion, and get it cut to length at the same time? Preferably in black extrusions. Spool3d use to do it but they no longer do. I don't have the tools to do it. Unless I do it w/ a hack saw. I've done it in the past but it doesn't look pretty.

Preferably in Canada. But I'd others if necessary.

Izerous

I don't have the tools to do it. Unless I do it w/ a hack saw. I've done it in the past but it doesn't look pretty.
I know places like metal super markets will do cut to order but I don't think they deal with aluminum extrusion and I'm not sure how they respond to bringing in your own metal. I think a mitre saw and an aluminum specific saw blade seems like it might be something worth trying though...

Sagath

Staff member
I know places like metal super markets will do cut to order but I don't think they deal with aluminum extrusion and I'm not sure how they respond to bringing in your own metal. I think a mitre saw and an aluminum specific saw blade seems like it might be something worth trying though...
This is what I did. Compound Mitre Saw. ALU specific blade, cut to size. Why pay a premium when a blade is so cheap, and the only errors are your own, but the customization is endless.

lowfat

Staff member
This is what I did. Compound Mitre Saw. ALU specific blade, cut to size. Why pay a premium when a blade is so cheap, and the only errors are your own, but the customization is endless.
That is the problem tho. :unsure:

I'm rather bad at cutting stuff straight when using power tools. I don't have a garage so I just have to do it in yard on saw horses. Everything I've cut has never been straight. :whistle:

Sagath

Staff member

I'm rather bad at cutting stuff straight when using power tools. I don't have a garage so I just have to do it in yard on saw horses. Everything I've cut has never been straight. :whistle:
🤨

Mitre Saw's cant really do anything else but cut straight...unless you want them to cut angles? Do you not own a 'chop saw'?

I mean, it's still probably cheaper to mail the product to me, give me the dimensions and I'll cut it all for you and mail it back up to you. Food for thought.

sswilson

Staff member

That's what a good set of files is for... you cut it a little long, mark the proper length with a t square and then file down to the bottom of that line.

Twitter