What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Where to get firearms training?

Polygon

Over the last year I've been doing quite a bit of backpacking in remote locations, driving on non-serviced roads, and camping in the wildlife. I am also planning to go up to the Yukon with one of my friends in the spring of next year. I always carry emergency equipment, such as a GPS locator/satellite radio communicator, first aid, bear spray, bear bangers and flares. However, I am interested in having the added protection of a gun especially as the arctic is home to plenty of dangerous animals (polar bears, wolves, moose, etc). Also, I am interested in getting a hunting license at some point and learning how to track various game.

So, AFAIK the way I would go about this is to get a firearm license so I would need some form of training but I don't really know where the best place would be for that. If I wanted to purchase a gun, probably a rifle of some sort, what would be a good starting weapon? Should I get training with a professional hunter before deciding which rifle?

Lpfan4ever

supaflyx3

Most gunshops that offer PAL, also offer courses. Since you're going to be using the firearm for self protection and not hunting, I suggest getting a 12g like a remington 870, or a mossberg 500 with slugs.

enaberif

Most gunshops that offer PAL, also offer courses. Since you're going to be using the firearm for self protection and not hunting, I suggest getting a 12g like a remington 870, or a mossberg 500 with slugs.

Go big or go home.. Grab a 10g and call it a day :rofl:

AkG

Id take a lever action 45-70 Marlin over a 12 guage. Would it be overkill for wolves...yes. Would either be overkill for a pissed off mouse in full rut...or a polar beer...or Kodiak...nope. Grab a 1985SBL or 1895GS. Short 18.5" barrells w/ stainless steel 'parts'....makes for a handy easy to pack 'trail gun'. Drop a 'dead mule' recoil dampner into the stock, stick a good pachmayer recoil pad on it (stock marlin pads...suck) and its a good wild life defense gun. Hell if you want to go full hog...stick a KDF or similar muzzle break on it and really tame that beast!

A bit less optimal for beer...but a lot easier to shoot would be a Browning BLR in 308...and the best rifle is the one you can shoot accurately without flinching. 308 will put them on their ass if done properly....and is cheaper and easier to source out. Ofcourse if it was my ass on the line...Id go for a 375H&H CZ rifle (or an older BRNO / ZKK 602...very sweet kit and IMHO better than the newer CZ branded versions). Heavier BUT the 375 has very little kick...more a push. BUT can take an elephant down. Its what I use when hunting bear.

One thing worth pointing out...you will have to be careful carrying a rifle in the woods. Check your local laws. You may have to have a hunting permit that can arguably require a rifle...or you may be in deep shit.

IF this sounds like a lot of effort...bring along a fat friend. You dont have to be faster than the bear...just faster than your redshirt 'friend'. :p

Shadowmeph

not sure why you want to kill anything most things in the bush would rather avoid you then attack you unless of course you piss them off and even then a loud noise should startle them enough to leave . as for guns in the bush something light and short is best nothing like hunting and having top pack a heavy weapon or a weapon that doesn't have room to move because of brush or having to climb a tree to get out of a grumpy grizzs reach.
my Grand father learned that fast, when I was a kid we were on the other side of a small valley and a griz went after the buck we knocked down, unfortunately by the time my grandad reached it there was a griz and the griz charged at him he climbed a tree but wasn't fast or high enough and had his left heal torn almost completely off . we had to shoot and kill the grizz and pack my grand Dad out of the bush to the nearest hospital that was back in 1972 pretty scarey thing to almost see we got there about 30 seconds after the attack. my Grand dad said it was his own fault for not paying attention to the area around him.
that was the only time in my life I seen a grizzly go after someone and I used to see a fare amount of them during the salmon runs

supaflyx3

If you're in the yukon, you want protection period. If you're out in the winter and for whatever reason a bear isn't hibernating, he'll eat whatever it can get its paws on. Or in the summer and you accidentally walk in to a bear and it's cubs, it will rip your face off to protect its young. I used to live up north and we were all taught at a young age to never go out in the wilderness alone and unarmed.

sswilson

Staff member
If you're in the yukon, you want protection period. If you're out in the winter and for whatever reason a bear isn't hibernating, he'll eat whatever it can get its paws on. Or in the summer and you accidentally walk in to a bear and it's cubs, it will rip your face off to protect its young. I used to live up north and we were all taught at a young age to never go out in the wilderness alone and unarmed.

That was me as a city teen transplanted into rural quebec... cub on one side of the trail, mama on the other... looked down and decided that the savage 410/22LR over under I had was just going to piss mama off so I kept moving forward without making any sudden moves one way or the other. :)

Latest posts