What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

which brands or phone models keep as close to stock, if not stock, Android on their mid-range phones?

Mr. Friendly

looking for an inexpensive 'mid-range' Android phone, but I'd like to keep it close to stock Android, no frustrating house skin and it's quirks to put up with.

Last edited:

JD

Staff member
Anything part of the Android One program would do that: https://www.android.com/one/

The Xiaomi Mi A1/2/3 are pretty easy to find or order from China. Some of the Nokia models you can find on B&H Photo which will ship here.

Just remember to check that the specific model supports the bands needed in Canada or for your carrier. Usually these phones have a lot of different variants for the global market.

Mr. Friendly

I updated my needs...I'd like the phone to be mid-range.

I shy from LG now as I've been burned twice. my G4 has screens that would turn off in a call and I had to pop the battery out in order to hang up and my G5 that it was replaced with has a defective home button, which apparently is a weak link all LG phones suffer from.

JD

Staff member
B&H has the Nokia 7.1 on sale for $250USD: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1436795-REG/nokia_11ctll11a03_7_1_dual_sim_64gb_smartphone.html.

Alternatively, looking quickly, the Xiaomi Mi A3 ranges from $200-250USD as well.

Technically the Pixel 3a is "mid-range" but it's $550. For that matter , the Pixel 3 is on sale for $599 for Back to School, so that may also fall into "mid-range" now, at least price wise, even though it would be considered "flagship".

Better off giving a price point than "mid-range" though...

ilya

Motorola pretty much has the largest selection for your requirements.

Aside from gesture control it's basically stock Android across the entire lineup.

If you don't mind that it's an older model, the x4 can be found on sale pretty frequently just under your price point. (Android one version that will get Q is harder to get in Canada though) Otherwise the entire Moto G series should fit the bill depending on preferences. A deal on a Z series would also fall into your price range.

Caldezar

Does it have to be new? You can get a used Pixel 2 in that range, and it would more than cover your needs.

*EDIT* You could also likely find people selling 'new' Pixel 3a's that they got on contract and are selling for cash.

Kilauea

I also think that Motorola's Moto G line fits your needs.
I have had the original Moto G for a while and I switched it 2 years ago for a Moto G5 Plus. I appreciate this line of phone and find it is a good price for what you get.

danmitch1

You could buy any phone you want and route it. Getting rid of all the bloatware.

Twitter