What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Which CPU for this mobo

jap333

if i go intel, this is the mobo im going to get, kinda on the fence on weather i should get RAID or not, its like 40 bucks more :sad: does it really make that big of a difference? in games and such

EVGA Nforce 680I SLI LGA775 Conroe ATX DDR2 2PCI-E16 2PCI SATA2 Sound GBLAN 1394 Motherboard

and its either

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Dual Core Processor LGA775 Conroe 2.66GHZ 1333FSB 4MB Retail - 217$

or

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Dual Core Processor LGA775 Conroe 3.0GHZ 1333FSB 4MB Retail - 308$

soo now im just wondering which one i should get. i was thinking i could get the cheaper one and OC to 3ghz, but i could also just OC the 3ghz to 3.4.. lol which do you think has better OC ability, and has better performance/price ratio :biggrin: thanks. and also, for my mother board the "1394" is its maximum BUS speed right? which the cpus have 1333?

im a noob:doh:

BrothaInFaith

get the quad.
it will last longer. quad core support in all new games and programs will more than take care of the clock speed disparity.

BrothaInFaith

if you get the Q6600, make sure you get A1 version of the evga 680i; the cheaper TR revision doesnt support quad core overclocking.

pscout

Fallen Folder
depends how hard you want to oc it ... an AF7 is cheap and will get a G0 stepping q6600 > 3.0 ghz assuming <1.4 VC. There are better ones around for not a lot more but i am not up on the latest models.

I also use TT Big Tyhpoons and Sonic Towers on a lot of my quads but with upgraded/dual fans on most. I bought them for my oc'ed 930D's originally.

If you want to get to 3.5 + you will need water ... at least if you run it 724 smp folding at 100% like i do. There aren't too many workloads that will run a quad at 100% constantly tho.

If you get a B3 stepping, they will need more VC and hence better cooling and still won't oc as high in general as a G0. Try to get a G0 if you can.

jap333

depends how hard you want to oc it ... an AF7 is cheap and will get a G0 stepping q6600 > 3.0 ghz assuming <1.4 VC. There are better ones around for not a lot more but i am not up on the latest models.

I also use TT Big Tyhpoons and Sonic Towers on a lot of my quads but with upgraded/dual fans on most. I bought them for my oc'ed 930D's originally.

If you want to get to 3.5 + you will need water ... at least if you run it 724 smp folding at 100% like i do. There aren't too many workloads that will run a quad at 100% constantly tho.

If you get a B3 stepping, they will need more VC and hence better cooling and still won't oc as high in general as a G0. Try to get a G0 if you can.

now G0 stepping, is the latest types of intel cpus [quads and some duo's] that allow highest ammount of OC right? and VC means Voltage right?

lol i must say that awnser confused me much more than i'd like to admit

Shadowmeph

If your not in a hurry (like me building my pc slowely but surely) I would wait for a couple of months I copied and pasted the following from this site bit-tech.net | Intel preps 45nm quad-core for launch

Mainstream editions of Yorkfield will launch sometime in January with a vague January 2nd through 20th listing from Intel.

The 2.83GHz Q9550, 2.66GHz Q9450, and 2.50GHz Q9300 will be priced at $530, $316, and $266 each in 1,000 unit quantities respectively. Like the QX9650, they will also have 12MB of L2 cache but this time will be in the 95W TDP band.

I have heard ( but not sure if it is true) that those processors are supposed to run a little cooler also

Latest posts