What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Which headset should I be choose? Open-back-headset surprise.

RizenRPM

My sister is super hyped about Cyberpunk 2077. She has it preordered and can't wait to be immersed in a new, interesting world. She has constantly talked about how interesting the audio is probably going to be, in her own words," walking down the street will be like a New York sidewalk experience." She has had an interest in trying out open-back headphones for a while, but she games with friends often, so she is needing something with a mic as well.

She currently has my old pair of Turtle Beach x41 headset and is super content. I wanted to surprise her after getting recommended Demitri's video on the Philips Audio SHB9500 paired with a V-Moda Boom-pro (Title: Forget About Gaming Headsets! THIS Is What You Need!). The problem is, I haven't listened to an open-back set of headphones EVER, so I don't know exactly what I am looking for. I liked Demitri's video, however, I also saw the MASSDROP X SENNHEISER PC37X and its cult-like following. It seemed to me like Sennheiser users had fewer problems with the sound, and more with the mic-jack attachment...thing that goes into the earcup. The Philips seemed to have more people complaining about the audio than anything else.

Price-wise, they are within $20 USD, and I am not afraid of going into the $150 price range on her if you have recommendations. I honestly am just looking for a good overall headset.

TLDR: Philips Audio SHB9500 paired with a V-Moda Boom-pro...or...MASSDROP X SENNHEISER PC37X...or...Something else you think is better for a headset.

Last edited:

Lysrin

Long time user of the Sennheiser PC360 SE, very similar to the PC37X, and would not hesitate recommending the PC37X, or the newer model from Drop (formerly Massdrop, just to avoid confusion), the PC38X (https://drop.com/buy/drop-sennheiser-pc38x-gaming-headset). And the latter even has orange highlights... kind of Cyberpunky ;)

Dmitri did a video on the PC38X too. Search the HWC YouTube channel you should find it.

The Sennheisers are the best I have ever used for the price, the mic is excellent, and I certainly prefer open back headphones/sets.

You can pair headphones with a ModMic or similar solution, works for a lot of people and I had that with a set of open AKG headphones. However that doubles the cabling you have to deal with, and for the me, the sound quality of the Sennheisers was excellent and got me back into a single solution.

RizenRPM

Long time user of the Sennheiser PC360 SE, very similar to the PC37X, and would not hesitate recommending the PC37X, or the newer model from Drop (formerly Massdrop, just to avoid confusion), the PC38X (https://drop.com/buy/drop-sennheiser-pc38x-gaming-headset). And the latter even has orange highlights... kind of Cyberpunky ;)

Dmitri did a video on the PC38X too. Search the HWC YouTube channel you should find it.

The Sennheisers are the best I have ever used for the price, the mic is excellent, and I certainly prefer open back headphones/sets.

You can pair headphones with a ModMic or similar solution, works for a lot of people and I had that with a set of open AKG headphones. However that doubles the cabling you have to deal with, and for the me, the sound quality of the Sennheisers was excellent and got me back into a single solution.
Thank you for the input, it came in handy when I made the decision to buy the PC37x from someone off of Facebook Marketplace. It looks like the Sennheiser cult won me over with their positivity. It also helps that I could not find anyone really digging into the PC37x with criticism after criticism. Funny enough, the guy was selling them because he had just purchased the PC38x to replace them since he wanted the latest.

I did look at the PC38x but I was torn because of the amount of yellow shown and I don't think she would like looking at them once the hype of Cyberpunk wears off. Definitely awesome how the yellow seems to match the yellow used in the game's promotional art though. Her taste is red and black or else it should be black/grey/white monochrome. If she does want it, I guess it leaves her room to upgrade in the future 🤷🏼‍♂️.

Lysrin

I said orange... oops! Me and colours lol

I'm not really a fan of the new colour scheme. I prefer the understated looks of mine and the PC37x. But they will get perhaps a different part of the market with the yellow accents.

Glad you found a PC37x headset. I don't think she'll be disappointed!