What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Which mini-itx case?

fubar

I guess I'm looking at these cases, in particular now, and I'd like some feedback and opinions. ;)

I'll probably choose the case last because it's easier for me to choose the cpu and memory. The only other concern with regards to which case, would be the PSU and cooler. I would like some opinions on that, too. Many cases need a SFX PSU so if I have to, I'll probably save up for the Silverstone 450W one w/modular connections. I am looking at the H80i cooler, too. Is it too good or are there better tones? I think the larger rads are probably overkill and a bit large? The cpu will be i5-4570* and any video card probably won't be much larger than the 750ti.

Here's the cases I've researched so far:
Bitfenix Prodigy mITX
Corsair 250D

Smaller:
Cooler Master Elite 130
Fractal Design Node 304
Silverstone SG08

Here's the volume of most of these cases:
19.9 litre - Cooler Master Elite 120
19.5 litre – Fractal Design Node 304
14.8 litre - SilverStone Sugo SG08
10.8 litre - SilverStone Sugo SG05

* liter? - Cooler Master Elite 130* - supposedly, a bit less volume than the 120.

I cannot decide, though! :) I hope someone can make some suggestions and offer some ideas.

There's a few other cases out there like the NCase 1 and Aerocool but these were expensive and not widely available. But, I am willing to consider any of these. I also looked at Lian Li cases, too, but they didn't get good reviews for cooling, for some reason.

I thought of either taking out any optical cage or going for a case that doesn't utilize it. I think it unnecessarily takes up space. What do you think?

I'm not sure what else to add... ;) Hmmmm...oh yeah...current or planned parts:
i5-4570, H80i, 1 or 2 SSDs, 1 3.5" HDD, Corsair HX520W (* not sure if I'll use it - it depends on the case and cables of this PSU?)

odis172

I just built a itx gaming system using an elite 130 and gtx750 ti. Small case considering it fits a regular size psu, and optical drive. The 130 is much smaller then the cosair 250d and the prodigy.

Vittra

Bitfenix Phenom ITX = All the coolness of the Prodigy without the Apple handle awfulness.
Minus any semblance of airflow. The GPU will be strangled unless you go watercooling. No doubt it's a better looking case than the Prodigy, but the aesthetic does come at a cost.

I'm with Draemn - the Corsair 250D and Prodigy are way too big to be ITX cases IF you are considering size as a factor. You'd be better off picking up a TJ08E for mATX. They are fantastic for "spacious" ITX builds, but the concept has never made sense to me personally.

fubar

Minus any semblance of airflow. The GPU will be strangled unless you go watercooling. No doubt it's a better looking case than the Prodigy, but the aesthetic does come at a cost.

I'm with Draemn - the Corsair 250D and Prodigy are way too big to be ITX cases IF you are considering size as a factor. You'd be better off picking up a TJ08E for mATX. They are fantastic for "spacious" ITX builds, but the concept has never made sense to me personally.
I like the NCase M1 but it's not available right now. I am looking at the Silverstone SG05 and SG08 even though the latter is bigger.

Btw, I'm hoping to buy the same mobo, memory and maybe the modular of the same psu you have. ;)

Latest posts

Twitter