What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Which option should I choose?

Tomal

I am a gamer as well as music lover. So sound quality is really important for me even though I am playing game. I am bit confuse which one should I choose. I play online games a lot with my playmates. Read few articles like this https://www.displayninja.com/headset-vs-headphones-for-gaming/ but looking for suggestion from real users. After reading all those articles, it seems to me headset is a cost effective way. Which one should I go choose?

Bond007

Generally you get better sound with a non-gaming model and then buy a mic. That said, it does cost quite a bit more to have a tangible gain. At low ish price points there are decent options with a mic built in. What is your budget?

Bartacus

Gaming headsets tend to suck IMO, unless you have low standards for sound. Depending on budget, I found the Sennheiser Game One headset to be a REALLY good dual-purpose set (got it ~$300CDN on sale).

Lysrin

I'm using a Sennheiser PC360 SE set they have excellent sound (IMO) with included mic. Similar to the ones suggested by Bartacus, but mine are an older model. The are actually still available from Amazon.ca for $166.97 and the Game One are available for $189.99. Good prices I think!

Budget is really the deciding factor on recommendations though.

dustin1706

Honestly it depends on how much you want to spend and what your personal qualifications are for "high quality" for the headphones and mic. As others have said, skip over most of the "Gaming" branded stuff. No sense paying for bright colours, BS surround features, wireless, etc. To be completely honest, I've become a bit of a Sennheiser fanboy, as I find it difficult to beat their quality/$.
After trying open back headphones, I'll never go back to closed. Just my 2c on the subject. Also, only shop sales for this kind of stuff. Higher price audio gear tends to be fairly high margin, so the sales are usually good.

At $100-$200 price point, I agree with Lysrin. Hard to beat a PC360 / Game one from Sennheiser.
at $200-300 I'd be looking at a set of Sen 598s, Beyer DT990s, or similar. Paired with something like a Blue Snowball or Yeti.
$300+ I'd be looking at Sen 6xx/650/660, DT990 pro, or ATH-AD1000x with a Blue Yeti, AT2020USB+ or similar microphone. The Yeti goes on sale for $100 every now and again (Black Friday etc.)

With higher end headphones, you'll want to have a decent amp/dac/soundcard to drive them optimally, though modern onboard audio is pretty good if the cans aren't too high impedance.

Bond007

I have to admit. I really love my HyperX Cloud Alpha headset. Nice crisp sound.

I used a friends, and this is what I was going to recommend if someone is on a tighter budget. It is not audiophile grade, but a great headset and decent mic for the price. Obviously there is better, but the cost does go up to get it.

Honestly it depends on how much you want to spend and what your personal qualifications are for "high quality" for the headphones and mic. As others have said, skip over most of the "Gaming" branded stuff. No sense paying for bright colours, BS surround features, wireless, etc. To be completely honest, I've become a bit of a Sennheiser fanboy, as I find it difficult to beat their quality/$.
After trying open back headphones, I'll never go back to closed. Just my 2c on the subject. Also, only shop sales for this kind of stuff. Higher price audio gear tends to be fairly high margin, so the sales are usually good.

At $100-$200 price point, I agree with Lysrin. Hard to beat a PC360 / Game one from Sennheiser.
at $200-300 I'd be looking at a set of Sen 598s, Beyer DT990s, or similar. Paired with something like a Blue Snowball or Yeti.
$300+ I'd be looking at Sen 6xx/650/660, DT990 pro, or ATH-AD1000x with a Blue Yeti, AT2020USB+ or similar microphone. The Yeti goes on sale for $100 every now and again (Black Friday etc.)

With higher end headphones, you'll want to have a decent amp/dac/soundcard to drive them optimally, though modern onboard audio is pretty good if the cans aren't too high impedance.

Solid recommendations if the OP is spending in those price brackets.

Tomal

Generally you get better sound with a non-gaming model and then buy a mic. That said, it does cost quite a bit more to have a tangible gain. At low ish price points there are decent options with a mic built in. What is your budget?

Thank a lot for your valuable suggestion. My budget is $150

Lysrin

I have to admit. I really love my HyperX Cloud Alpha headset. Nice crisp sound.

Given you're $150 price range, then one of the HyperX would be a good choice. I still have my original HyperX Cloud set as my closed headset. That is the only reason I switched from them actually, I prefer open headphones for the sound and "situational awareness" in my house ;) but the sound from the HyperX line is great IMO and the build quality is actually better than their price would suggest.

Here is what Amazon.ca currently has: https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=HyperX+cloud

For your price range you are likely also best getting one of the suggested headsets with integrated mic. You'll get good sound from the suggested options and avoid paying another $50+ for a good mic.

Latest posts