What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Which OS are you using, and which will you be using next year

Gav

Administrator
Staff member
Folding Team
"Same, who on earth could live with that cr** ?!"

How big of a performance hit is SP2?
When I first installed it I found that it slowed things down, except for the internet which seemed slightly snappier. After subsequent updates, I think it probably runs @ the same speed as SP1.

sswilson

Staff member
Folding Team
Heh, no.......

I do think I've got a copy of 3.1 on disks around here somewhere though..... :)

enaberif

All stuff that you can disable. ;) And security updates are only released for SP2 anymore.

I'm using Vista 64-bit on my main rig, don't own an XP license for it, and wasn't about to buy one when Vista was already available.
I don't use Windows Update; tis all a bunch of hype to get people excited that their confuzers will be haxx0red by elite groups.

augie

I'll probably wait a year or 'till SP1 is out, whichever is first.Another factor in my decision before buying it will be if I can afford to buy another printer and scanner when they work perfectly well with XP. I've been around this since Longhorn 4015 and I've always dual booted just because of peripheral problems. Someone above mentioned x64, if it goes like XP x64 did for 3rd party programs, that will die too except for the uber geeks. I bought my x64 rig just to run it and it bit me back. I would have better spent my bucks on a fast x86 proc. ATT.

grinder

Home1: XP Pro /SP2
Home2: MCE 2K5
Home3: XP Pro /SP2
Home4: XP Pro /SP2
Home5: XP Pro /SP2
Home6: FreeBSD

As you can see, im heavilly invested in XP. And honestly, there has to be more to switching to Vista than that damn *3d alt-tab* feature you keep seeing on crappy MDG computer commercials. heh

Brenda

Win XP Pro SP2 on EVERY computer we own - five in total. No way I'm touching Vista for a very long time. All the crap is turned off like the firewall, auto updates, etc.

I'm not changing in the next year.