What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Which slots to put in?

chang2

Hi, I just built my first PC yesterday.

After reading the instruction manual of my Motherboard, I still can't be sure of which of the 4 ram slots I should put my 2 x2gb of rams.

it goes black+orange then black+range

DIMM a1 and DIMM a2 together
DIMM b1 and DIMM b2 together

I put 1 in a1 and the other one in b1.

My system properties says I got 3.25GB of ram. Is it because I dint install properly? I should have 4gb right?
Sorry im a noob here.

Thanks

Arinoth

Staff member
If you are running 32bit version of windows it cannot not physically recognize or address more then approximately 3.25GB of ram due to the nature of how much 32bit can address. 32bit means 2^32 address lines (aka 32bit OS) which is approximate 4GB however due to the fact windows always allocates some of your RAM for your south bridge peripherals you cannot ever achieve or access your full 4GB of ram in 32bit.

cdn_Madrach

For dual channel ddr2 most if not all mobo's recommend that for dual channel operation the memory be installed in either 1st and 3rd slot or 2nd and 4th or grouped by colour. It will say in your mobo manual. And Arinoth is right, the only way to get your system to recognize the full 4gb of memory or more is to use a 64 bit OS.

Ps: Congrats on your first build.....the fun(aka addiction) is just beginning lol.

Latest posts

Twitter